Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

must a TimeMachine share be local?

Any non-local disk is ineligible to use as a TimeMachine share. My mini doesn't have the 4TB to hold all the backup images via TimeMachine, but my 10tb NFS server does. Why can't we use remote AFP, NFS, etc. shares to host the data?

Makes a seriously good case to use Fusion to host OS X Server and put the Time Machine disk images on the NFS share.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 11:09 AM

2 replies

Jun 22, 2010 12:16 PM in response to smurfless

My guess? Really hard problem.

But if you want this, go ask Apple directly.

Why hard? Because AFP and NFS and SMB add a layer of complexity and of potential instability into and added error-recovery within what is intended to be a reliable means to archive data?

You already have one network connection involved between the client and the server, and it's non-trivial to have entirely reliable disk access with a network between your TM server and your disk when you have a network involved. Not to mention that you've doubled your network traffic.

While there's local caches, those are typically managed under the control of the operating system and comparatively manageable.

Most (all?) remote services also cache data, so you're not really sure what's been written to disk unless you shut off that caching, and performance tanks, or unless you wing it and hope it all gets written; recovery from a failed cache is nasty, and Unix already has enough "fun" when the box "drops" before the I/O caches get written.

If you need this capability, then have a look around for end-to-end backup services; there are commercial packages which can stream data and manage connections out to a remote disk server or remote tape drive. But it might also be cheaper here to get yourself a bigger disk array, or a Mac with more expansion; a bigger RAID array or an upgrade to a server with FC and with a SAN storage controller or such.

must a TimeMachine share be local?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.