Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conection Issues: Roland Fantom-S88 to Logic Pro

Hello,

I've had the Fantom-S88 for four or five years now and have been strictly using it as a keyboard for practice & shows. However, recently I have decided I would really like to start creating hip-hop beats. I bought Logic Pro thinking that I could simply connect it to my keyboard through the USB port, however that seems to be far from the case. No matter what I try to do, it seems like the two just cannot connect that way. The keyboard does have MIDI capabilities, with ports labeled "IN", "OUT", & "THRU". I have no idea how I might connect those with the program though, as it looks as if those ports are for other instruments.

Is it possible to connect the Roland Fantom-S88 with Logic Pro? If so, how? Do I need to buy a different MIDI controller all together that seamlessly links through USB?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I have been trying to figure this problem out for some time now.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 11:28 AM

3 replies

Jun 26, 2010 4:03 AM in response to Data Stream Studio

From the specs I understand that the USB connection on this machine is only for "mass storage" and NOT for MIDI. It seems like you need a separate *MIDI interface* to connect to Logic.
From http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?PRODUCT=FANTOM-S88&iRcId=1831 598&dsp=1
The USB port of the Fantom-S / Fantom-S88 are designated for data storage. You can connect the Fantom-S / Fantom-S88 with the computer through USB and transfer the files in the user memory and memory card to and from the computer. You can also import WAV / AIFF file through USB port.

Jun 26, 2010 3:55 PM in response to MGW613

The connection is very easy.
Buy a UNO Midi to USB converter (Guitar Center has them..)
This converter will has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT plugs that will goto your Fantom.
Its USB plug simply plugs into you iMac.
This will allow you to trigger sounds on Logic.

Additionally, you should wire the Optical spdiff out from the Fantom into the Logics Optical Input.
This will allow you to record, in stereo, the sounds generated on your Fantom into Logic.

I don't remember offhand but the Core Audio in the iMac will automatically recognize the UNO interface.

Conection Issues: Roland Fantom-S88 to Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.