Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading 720p to youtube from iphone. not working

it shoots great quality. but when i upload it it only upload in crappy 320 or 360 whatever it is. i saw them in the demo upload in 720p but it wont let me. any ideas?

imac 21.5 3.33Ghz 8Gb RAM 2Tb Hard Drive. iPhone 3gs. iPhone 4. Ipad 3g+wifi., Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 11:06 AM

12 replies

Jun 23, 2010 8:00 PM in response to smithx41

I am having this same issue. When I upload a video I recorded with the phone to youtube using the phone it does not upload it in 720p. Also, when I email a video it doesn't send it as 720p. Instead, it down converts it to 568x320. I am so confused and don't know how to get 720p video out of this phone.

(And yes I am using the camera on the back of the phone with 5MP)

Jun 24, 2010 10:32 AM in response to smithx41

I agree, this is disappointing. I really hope I'm missing something, because having to sync your phone in order to upload 720p is a waste of time. Apple could restrict it to WiFi connections, and even throw up a warning message (eg. "This could take awhile. Are you sure?"), but users must be allowed to submit HD content to fulfill the promise of this camera & a portable iMovie.

Jun 25, 2010 9:52 AM in response to jerware

Hey guys- I have the ANSWER here! Trust me- it took the better half of the last 2 days to figure out, and I tried everything- even went to Apple Store and asked the guys there- they couldnt figure out why....Here's what you do...IF you have a Mac... the same programs....

You need to plug in iPhone 4 to your computer, then dowload into iPhoto first- as a movie...
THEN you need to export to iMovie
THEN you need to upload it to you YouTube. It will (finally) give you an option to upload in HD- any other way simply doesn't work, and I've tried ALL of the following options as well- without success..
Hope this helps...

Things that DIDNT work...(Apple if you are listening, your iMovie App does NOT convert it into 720 either)
________________________________________________________________________________ _________________
Tried emailing the HD video to myself then uploading it to YouTube manually- it didn't show up in HD
Tried uploading the HD video directly to Youtube via the iPhone4- didn't work
Downloaded video into iMovie, optimized, but it wouldn't let me upload HD into Youtube.
Even tried the iMovie app for the iPhone4, exporting it as an HD (720p) movie, putting in camera roll, THEN uploading to YouTube. Didn't work.
Waited a day to see if it was just a processing delay for YouTube- no luck
Tried doing all of these things in the Apple Store WITH two Apple guys right next to me- didn't work
Also tried doing the same things with a different iPhone 4- didn't work..

Jun 25, 2010 10:48 AM in response to tgoodridge

This works, or you can login to the YouTube web site and upload there instead of importing into iMovie. Nonetheless, this is definitely not the answer a lot of us were hoping for.

Let's see... I can shoot HD video. I can edit HD video. I can export HD video... but I can't upload it to YouTube? I have to transfer it to my computer over a cable and then upload it, using the same Wi-Fi my phone was on? How is that in line with Apple's "it just works" philosophy?

Jun 25, 2010 10:55 AM in response to pclark@rkstratman

Let there be no confusion about this. You MUST connect over USB to transfer your HD movies off of the iPhone 4. See Apple's support documents:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4233
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4237

"When sharing your finished iMovie video, the Camera Roll compresses the video to 568x320 in order to improve upload performance. The full-resolution version of your video remains in the Camera Roll, and you can transfer this version back to your computer when you connect your iPhone."

Uploading 720p to youtube from iphone. not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.