Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail Push not accessing folders

So I just realized that Google has "tricked" Apple into getting push email to work through their GooSync and the Exchange email option on the iPhone. (Yeah, I'm a little slow, I know)

Here's my question, I have folders set up with my Gmail account online (one for Motley Fool, another for a daily industry tip, and another from a friend who seems to send me 10 forwards a day) so any emails automatically go into them and I only see them if I go into the folder. This keeps my inbox from getting too cluttered and then I can read them at my leisure.

I just set up my Gmail account this new way, and it seems to be fine. However, when I go into the folders, I only have yesterday's email in the Motley Fool folder; nothing in my friend's folder; and today's, yesterday's and Monday's emails in my other folder.

When I had it set up on my iPhone just the normal/original Gmail way (IMAP?), I could go in and download the 50 most recent messages in these folders at any time. Now, I go into the folders and I can't seem to access the messages in them.

Am I missing something? Is there something I need to change in my Gmail Settings on my computer?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy the Push feature, but if I can't have full functionality going through the GooSync Exchange server, then I'll need to go back to the way things originally were.

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Using Macs since 1984

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 3:45 PM

2 replies

Jun 23, 2010 4:00 PM in response to DaVBMan

Not really, since it's not a Google error. I could see the items in the folders just fine when it was set up as IMAP, but now as an exchange account it't not working.

But, I think I figured it out anyway. There are additional settings under the account setting in the iPhone (under Mail, Contacts and Calendar) that I just found where it allows you to choose which folders to push and if you want to limit how many days worth of messages you want pushed. So if this works right, then I just answered my own question.

Gmail Push not accessing folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.