Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Audio on video recordings and no audio during facetime

So my wife got her iPhone 4 today. All works well except the video recordings have no audio and facetime doesn't seem to transmit audio. All else seems to work. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 8:56 PM

69 replies

Jun 23, 2010 9:58 PM in response to mwchut

Same exact problem here, although along with no audio in Video or FaceTime I'm unable to be heard when talking on speakerphone mode during a call. If I switch to non-speakerphone the other person can hear me; choose speakerphone and nothing.

When I record video or do FaceTime there is actually static the whole time.

I attempted the following with no change in results:
- Restarted iPhone
- Insert headphones in/out

Headphone jack appears to work fine, as I was able to record a video with proper audio using the headphones.

I submitted issue to Apple, but since it is after business hours, I'm going to attempt something else. Next step for me: factory reset phone and do a manual setup rather than restore from previous backup.

Jun 23, 2010 10:15 PM in response to mwchut

A bit more testing and it is static for me as well. I tried the factory reset with no love. How do you submit the issue to apple? I thought only a phone call was the way. Can it be done online as well?

I tested with the mic/headphones and I can record fine. I haven't tried the speaker phone test but facetime I think would count for that.

Jun 23, 2010 10:57 PM in response to TheBradleyRoberts

UPDATE:
Did factory reset and did not restore data from backup = No change, still static.

Regarding registering tech issue through the website:
I went to http://www.apple.com/support/expert/ and followed the steps through from there. In the end it just says that you need to call them, but now I have a Case Number that I can reference, which I'm sure won't save me any time or anything.

Jun 24, 2010 9:15 AM in response to mwchut

Both myself and a colleague of mine are experiencing the same issue. I copied the recorded video over to my iPhoto and sure enough still no sound so it appears that the mic is not being enabled while using the Camera App or Facetime.

Voice Control, Voice Memo, iPod, 3rd party music apps and my speaker phone all work fine.

I'm thinking that since they are pushing Facetime that there will be a quick fix for this soon. I have seen links of other's videos from the camera with sound so it might be isolated to a batch of devices.

Jun 24, 2010 9:58 AM in response to mwchut

I spoke to an expert and they are repairing the phone. They wanted 29.99 to advance replace the phone plus a $600 deposit. ***. Come on Apple. Get a clue. I already paid a boat load for the phone. They really should make right and just advance replace it for free. Get a clue on customer care. I don't mind the deposit but why should I pay 29.99 for replacement of a broken phone they sent me..

Jun 24, 2010 10:12 AM in response to mwchut

Update:
I called Apple, they wanted me either send in the phone or make an appointment at an Apple Store to have them deal with the issue. I chose appointment, so I go in tomorrow night (fri). I'm guessing they will have to replace my phone, but will be told, "none in stock".

Rumors on the internets suggest that some of these issues might be related to certain batches, hence my gfs works fine, but mine doesn't.

No Audio on video recordings and no audio during facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.