Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 will not turn on

The title says it all. I opened the box. I plugged it into my MacBook. Nothing. I pressed the buttons, held the buttons, tried a different cable, connected it to the charger and waited an hour...

nothing.

Anyone know anything that can make a good iPhone refuse to turn on, or did I get a bad one?

MacBook 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 32GB Black

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 10:05 PM

109 replies

Jun 28, 2017 4:41 PM in response to ottonomy

These reviews really helped 🙂 ! My phone was on 100% and all I did was press the power button and my screen blacked out. I tried pressing the home button and power button twice but it didn't turn on. After reading these reviews, I pressed the power button and home button at the same time but the only thing I had to do was hold both buttons longer then I was already holding them. Thanks guys!

Jun 24, 2010 9:12 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

It's not that I don't think there will be defects in a few products from any manufacturer. That obviously cannot be avoided. What seems odd to me is the number of people who have reported obvious visual defects, or in my case, a phone which won't even power up. This suggest that there is no inspection whatsoever, which seems odd to me.

Jun 24, 2010 11:18 PM in response to ottonomy

I have been playing with my new iPhone 4 all evening. I've synched it, set it up, activated it, shot video, etc. I was uploading a video I'd created using iMovie to Facebook when my phone screen went black. It now will not respond no matter what I do. I have plugged it into the wall, into the computer and pressed every button (yes, I held them down). Nothing, no response. My battery was more than 1/2 full when it shut off, I had just checked on how much battery I had left and it was not warm to touch or anything unusual, just shut off for no reason and will not respond. Please update this thread to let me know what Apple help says, I am very curious and SCARED!!!! Yikes!!!

Jun 25, 2010 1:01 AM in response to ottonomy

TEMPORARILY RESOLVED

Same issue. Toyed with it all night. Did a backup, etc. Slept.

When I woke up and tried any of the controls, boom, no response. Dead on the water.

Plugged it into the wall charger, nothing. Plugged it into the computer, nothing.

Found this thread and clicked on the Home+Power buttons. First reaction was it was asking for a Restore - I did not do that! I ejected the iPhone from iTunes and clicked the Home+Power button once more. Apple logo came up and it's back to normal. Checked the battery and it's at 76%.

I won't be surprised if it happens again.

Jun 25, 2010 5:26 AM in response to rylack

I've had a similar problem this morning. I used it earlier and had about 70% battery, then about 30-40 minutes later went to use it and dead as can be and completely unresponsive to anything.

On a different thread regarding random dead iphones, they said to hold down the home button until the apple logo shows up. Worked like a charm, they also recommended keeping an app running the background like Facebook to possibly prevent it.

I'll keep the above solution and holding down home and sleep buttons in mind if the issue happens again though. Thank you to everyone posting solves!

iPhone 4 will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.