Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook 3400c external display woes

Hi everyone,

I have a PowerBook 3400c, 240 MHz 603e processor, 80 MB RAM with a 40 GB hard drive.

I split the thing up into 3 partitions (HFS Standard on the first, and HFS Extended on the other two) and installed Mac OS 7.6.1 (With original machine-specific PowerBook 3400c CD), Mac OS 8.6, and Mac OS 9.1 in that order on the partitions.

I have a 15" LCD external monitor VGA that hooks right up to the back of the PowerBook. If the monitor is connected, and I boot the PowerBook into Mac OS 8.6 or 9.1, it recognizes the external display and mirrors it just fine. Not such luck in Mac OS 7.6.1 though.

Here's my two issues:

1.) 7.6.1 as I said, doesn't mirror the display or seem to recognize the external monitor. I opened the Monitors and Sound control panel but nothing happens really - just lets me stare at the one and only 800x600 resolution for the internal display.
----> Question here: Does 7.6.1 for the 3400c support external displays via the VGA port built-in? If so, what am I doing wrong?

2.) With 8.6 and 9.1, if I sleep the machine and wake it back up, the video mirrors for about 5 seconds but then stops mirroring and reverts to the internal LCD. The only solution to get the external LCD back online seems to be to reboot entirely.
----> Question here: Is that expected behavior? Or, is there a better solution that doesn't involve rebooting?

Thank you!

iBook clamshell

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 11:05 AM

Your description sounds like you are not using an adapter that provides sense data, and the Mac decides in certain circumstances that no VGA display is connected.

This article lists the official Apple 3400 adapter (the last one on the list):

Monitor and Display Adapter Table - Vintage Products
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2010 11:05 AM in response to sopranojam851

Your description sounds like you are not using an adapter that provides sense data, and the Mac decides in certain circumstances that no VGA display is connected.

This article lists the official Apple 3400 adapter (the last one on the list):

Monitor and Display Adapter Table - Vintage Products

Jul 13, 2010 1:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks! The adapter shown at the bottom of the article did the trick.

Unfortunately it's adapting to an old-style VGA, so I needed to use an opposite adapter ahead of it to adapt back from old-style VGA to new-style VGA. So I have 6-inches of hardware poking out of the back of the PowerBook, but it's clumsiness is fine as it's not going anywhere.

Thanks!

PowerBook 3400c external display woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.