Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Issues in Facetime & Video Recording

I'm having some major mic issues when using FaceTime or recording video on the iPhone 4. The sound is mainly static - you can just about hear other sounds, but it's very quiet and washed out by the static. The mic audio on calls, voice notes is fine - it's just on FaceTime and video recording.

Apple support have no idea (the agent I spoke to seemed to think it was related to my network provider and text messaging, which makes no sense whatsoever).

Anyone else had this problem? Any fixes out there?

iPhone4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 9:40 AM

30 replies

Jun 24, 2010 8:43 PM in response to TheBradleyRoberts

Do we have a mix of mac and windows users here...just out of curiosity....I am on the phone with apple and of course they want to walk you through the normal troubleshooting. Sounds hardware to me but what baffles me is that all the other apps work such as phone, voice memo....do these apps capture audio in the same manner. If so, that sounds like a software issue to me.....?????

Jun 25, 2010 9:46 AM in response to stacyiphone

Yep, same here. I've tried messing with everything I can think of to get audio to appear, even did a restore, nothing. Funny thing is recording audio works fine in all 3rd party video recording apps I've tried (Qik) and most sound recording apps I've got. Its just Facetime and the video mode within the Camera app. This kinda feels like a software issue. Hopefully a fix is on the way, this is bad PR for core features of iOS4.

Jun 27, 2010 7:22 AM in response to epablo

Same issue here. I didn't call Apple support but rather just made a reservation at my local Genius bar. The guy played with it for a minute, did a test vid and confirmed my issue, apologized for the defect and gave me a new phone. 15 minute ordeal, tops!

He said mine was the first he'd seen with this issue, but that they already had the defect listed in their system. Oddly enough, he told me it isn't a recording issue but a playback issue. Not sure what that means but I have a new phone with no issues now.

Sidebar, I looked over the new phone when he handed it to me to be sure it didn't have any other issues, and tried to replicate the signal drop thing. He said it wouldn't work at any Apple store because they all are running AT&T Microcells to boost the signal.

Jun 29, 2010 5:07 PM in response to Kidd94

I was right there with you. I posted early on in this thread and was working with tech support on the phone. We worked for a few days and it was like I was having to do too much work on my end. Nothing was working and they were so busy. Someone else posted that they took theirs back and it was an easy swap. I had already made an appointment at the apple store as a backup so I decided to drive the 50 miles. It was so easy....the guy really did not care too much about me working with support. He just tried a restore and was able to repeat the issue. Not saying that all stores are like that but I have had very good results with other apple products and getting support at the genius bar. Good luck...but you may be waiting a while. Seems that the hot topic for them is really the "reception" issue.

Audio Issues in Facetime & Video Recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.