Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP i5-i7 USB issues setting up some HP printers (USB)

MBP i5-i7 has issues when running WIN7 and trying to install HP2727 all in one laser printer. The MBP hardware is ok, when booted to Mac OS X, the USB port works just fine, but in Windows 7 the USB port works but some software will not configure correctly.

The installer for the HP2727 print/copy/scan will just crap out and not run under WIN7, it makes a reference to USB not being setup correctly on the laptop. We have found a work-around by pointing back to the install folder to update device drivers from device manager. For this particular printer it finds a driver and configures the items in device manager and starts working. We don't have full functionality but scanning works through the WIA driver works and it prints.

*We have a lot of HP laser printers and the state of HP print driver installers is horrible.*

The drivers for these seem to be the culprit.
"Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B36"
"Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B3B"

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), IMAC 27"

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 9:59 AM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2010 9:41 PM in response to Raimundo6

i have an i7 15" macbook pro with windows 7 installed bootcamp, and yes, it definitely has to do with these 2 drivers:
"Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B36"
"Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B3B"

Now, to all apple support people, these drivers when you are in windows 7 appear to be just fine, but go to control panel, devices and printers, and there you will see the computer icon has an exclamation yellow mark, here lies the problem and would highly appreciate Apple taking care of this as the USB when trying to use my printer does not work.
Thanks you

Sep 25, 2010 1:30 PM in response to Monty Pandey

If someone would try the directions on my post at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12310773&tstart=0#12310773 I think it might help you.

It's a long post and a little hard to read, but I tried to give directions to work around the problem. The idea is to get the USB port enumeration functioning, and it is messed up by what I believe are two "ghost: host controllers that refuse to go away.

Yes, it will probably take an Apple firmware fix to correct the problem permanently, but the workaround fixes USB ports so that fussy hardware/software (like some HP printers) should work. It cured my problem with VMware software, and I am curious to see if it works for USB printers too. Might not, but it's easy to try and worth a shot.

Sep 26, 2010 9:25 AM in response to Jimmy Moore

WOW!!

THANKS GOD THAT FINALLY SOMEONE REALLY FIND THE WAY!

READ THIS

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2401742&tstart=0

Pay attention to the reply of "Jonah in Whale "

and I paste it here:

Here’s something I discovered that might help this issue. It appears that the HP driver installation package is using a utility named usbready.exe that is failing a USB check. This program is from 1998! Yikes! So it's probably not able to recognize the new design of the latest Macs. A potential workaround is to eliminate this program by using the following steps:

1) Run the HP installation package executable (i.e. OJP8500vA909 full_12en.exe)
2) When asked to choose the extract directory, make a note of where it is installed. Easiest way would be to tell it to extract to a folder named HP on the Desktop.
3) Navigate to the extracted installation folder (using Desktop\HP in this example)
4) Go to the "Setup" subdirectory (Desktop\HP\Setup)
5) Move, delete or rename the Intel USB System Check utility (usbready.exe)
6) Double click the Setup executable in the main extraction folder (Desktop\HP\Setup.exe)

This should allow the installation to work completely.
I hope this helps.

AND ALSO WE WANT APPLE TO MAKE A FIRMWARE FIX

MBP i5-i7 USB issues setting up some HP printers (USB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.