Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not remove settings from a .mobileconfig file

We are playing with iPads within our company. So, I used the ICU to create separate config files for our VPN and our Exchange 2007 settings. In both config files I set the Security to "Always" to allow users to remove the profile. When we do this for real, I probably won't but since I am testing it with my device, I'd like to be able to manually remove the profile without using the ICU. No matter what I select for Security, the Delete button is missing from both the VPN setting and Mail account settings. There's a message instead that reads, "These settings are installed by the profile 'Exchange Test'" I've tried a direct install via USB from the ICU and emailing the file to myself with the same results. The profiles work, I just can't remove them.

iPad 16-GB Wi-Fi only, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 6:16 AM

I know this message is years old now, but I wanted to make sure an answer was provided to address this in the case of someone else stumbling upon it.

The profiles are not accessed via the standard settings. For instance, if you install a config with an email account, you don't remove it via the email settings. There will be a new item under settings called Profiles. Using that area you can easily remove the config. Note, this is where your previously configured delete options come into play. If you allow deletion, the user can remove everything here. If you password protect it, they will be prompted for the password.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2012 6:16 AM in response to Lepre-con

I know this message is years old now, but I wanted to make sure an answer was provided to address this in the case of someone else stumbling upon it.

The profiles are not accessed via the standard settings. For instance, if you install a config with an email account, you don't remove it via the email settings. There will be a new item under settings called Profiles. Using that area you can easily remove the config. Note, this is where your previously configured delete options come into play. If you allow deletion, the user can remove everything here. If you password protect it, they will be prompted for the password.

Can not remove settings from a .mobileconfig file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.