Skip navigation

Email Bug Downloading 1 of 1

4821 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 2:01 AM by eddi2016 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Larc Level 3 Level 3 (905 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 24, 2010 2:17 PM
With a iPhone4 and iOS4 software my email shows constantly "Downloading 1 of 1 " under the ALL INBOXES screen. It does not show when I check each email account.
MacBookPro Core 2 Duo-iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Canon MX-860 printer-Seagate ext HD
  • GregF-ATL Level 4 Level 4 (1,015 points)
    Jun 24, 2010 2:18 PM (in response to Larc)
    Not to be too sarcastic, but it is downloading a message?
    Home Built Dual Quad Core (x64) 16GB RAM, Windows Vista
  • w7ox Level 4 Level 4 (2,385 points)
    Jun 24, 2010 2:21 PM (in response to Larc)
    Try shutting the phone off (hold power button on top and do slider when prompted) then turn back on. That might clear the problem.

Phil
    MacBook Al 2.4, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Dell Win7 Desktop ; iPhone 4; iPad 3G 64GB
  • Chris Tomkins1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Jun 24, 2010 11:45 PM (in response to Larc)
    I have the exact same problem with my 3GS... No matter how many times I reset, I still have "downloading 1 of 1".

Has been like that for 2 days now. So must be an ios4 issue, not an iPhone 4 issue...
  • riversauce Calculating status...
    Jun 25, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to Larc)
    I was having an issue that sounds similar. Rather than a full restart I was able to kill the mail multitask which solved the problem. Since Wed I have had to do this a handfull of times. I cannot figure out what is causing it. To kill multitask:
    1. Exit apps
    2. Double tap home button to reveal multi-tasking bar.
    3. Hold finger on multi-task app like you would to rearrange apps
    4. Tap the red circle on the corner of the mail app to kill the multitask.
    5. Hit home button to leave multi-tasking bar.
    6. Select mail app.

Restarting the phone does the same thing because it kills the multitask but takes much longer. Removing account and adding them back seemed to not help because the hangup is in the mail app itself not the account setups.

Good luck.
    Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.5), iPhone 4 / iOS4
  • AstronautG117 Calculating status...
    Jul 6, 2010 12:26 PM (in response to riversauce)
    I've been having a similar problem with a regular 3G after the iOS 4 update. Every time I get a new e-mail my phone makes a duplicate of it. I delete one, then try to delete the other and it has the "cannot move to trash" error. And then, even though I have viewed the duplicate, my mailbox still has the red notification circle. It seems that I can fix this by resetting but then it happens again every time I get a new e-mail. I'd rather not have to reset my iPhone every time I get an e-mail. Is there any sort of update in the works to fix this bug?
    3G, iOS 4
  • uif Calculating status...
    Aug 19, 2010 2:41 PM (in response to Larc)
    I'm having the same problem - and no, nothing is downloading. Each individual mailbox shows "updated" but the "All Mailboxes" list, plus the mailbox selection screen, show "Downloading 1 of 1"

I tried closing the Mail instance in the app manager and restarting it, and that did temporarily eliminated the message, but it's back on subsequent visits to the app. Looks like a possible multitasking error.
  • storebot Calculating status...
    Mar 7, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to Larc)
    The solution from @w7ox worked for me. Hold the power button until you see a Power Off slider, slide that, wait for the phone to power down, hold the power button again to power on -- and now when you open the Mail app the "downloading 1 of 1" bug is fixed.
  • Mark Bame Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    Jun 17, 2011 9:06 AM (in response to Larc)

I don't know if this is the same problem I was having but I did have the "Downloading 1 of 1" for about 3 days with no email coming in. I also notices that my mail was stuck and no new emails were coming in.

I tried all the solutions noted above and they did not work.

I think I've fixed it and here's how:

I went to my email via the web brower and found a little 1kb email from no one and to no one from about 3 days ago. (right when the problem started) This email wasn't downloaded and for some reason could not be downloaded by Mail on my computer or Mail on my phone. (Mail on my computer was fine)

I deleted the email from my email server and emptied out of my trash and volia.... the emails started flowing in on my Iphone.

• cwbrandt2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Nov 22, 2011 8:29 AM (in response to Mark Bame)

Just solved it on my phone so I will share this to help others. I had a stuck outbox email. WHen I deleted it, my problems were gone. 

• websterLA Calculating status...
    May 17, 2012 1:20 PM (in response to Mark Bame)

This is the answer. The other fixes were just temporary for me. Thanks for the help with a non lethal but really aggravating problem.

Webster

• NomusaMagic Calculating status...
    Jan 1, 2013 5:38 PM (in response to Larc)

Same problem for two days on ipad3. Shut down and restart doesn't clear it. I did also notice an old email stuck in outbox (occasionally says server can't send!) and deleted but this didn't clear the "downloading 1 of 1" either

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.