Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random dead iPhone 4 issues

Three times now my iPhone 4 has simply gone dead. Black Screen, unresponsive, hard resets do not work. Eventually it comes back from the dead but only after multiple attempts to reset. I did a recovery once. Has anyone else had this issue?

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 2:38 PM

71 replies

Jun 24, 2010 2:44 PM in response to ccperkdog

At least you didn't get the 'vibrate bug'. It's happened to me and a few others already - locks up out of nowhere w/black screen and vibrates on full blast until it either drains the battery, or you disconnect the battery and reconnect.

Some ppl reported it happening right after hearing a txt alert, but I don't remember hearing anything before it bugged out...

Jun 24, 2010 3:17 PM in response to ccperkdog

I have the same issue. Hit the home button and nothing. No attempts to bring it back to life work. Keep trying over and over and eventually it boots. It's done it three times in the twenty hours I've had the phone. Not happy about it since, without constantly hitting the home button, there's no way to know if the phone is alive or dead.

Jun 24, 2010 9:01 PM in response to amerob

This just happened to me. I had pre-ordered the iPhone 4 and was really excited to get my FedEx delivery today, especially considering all the people waiting in line at the local Apple store.

I've been trying for two hours now to get it to come back, but its dead as a brick. I'll try to get into the Apple store tomorrow, but if they can't get it to work, I'm ditching it and going back to my trusty old 3G.

What the heck is going on here? One quick Google search and I can see this is a common issue.

Hey Apple - you've really let me down, and my faith in your products is slipping away...

Jun 24, 2010 9:24 PM in response to M.A

Yeah got two at BB today - got them late because my flight was late into Tampa. Left BB with two phones activated one for my wife 16gb and my 32gb. Made 4 calls to her and guess what she can hear me but earpiece is dead. Her phone works great. We are both VZW customers and long time Blackberry users. I am not very happy right now.

Jun 24, 2010 9:27 PM in response to ccperkdog

My phone seems to want to restart every 5 minutes, well, it does that when its plugged in, but, when its just sitting there it shuts off. Otherwise seems to work fine, I can make calls, take video, Facetime, etc, but it just shuts off after about 5 minutes.

Trying to get it charged up to full and maybe do some more resets / restores to see whats going on, but, it seems like a hardware issue to me.

When it does shut off it seems to start back up without any problems though, so a similar (a very horrible situation after drooling over this thing for months) situation but not the same..

Jun 25, 2010 4:49 AM in response to Hotjim

I am having the same problem and this is what I have found so far. If you do not have any apps running in the background my iphone 4 after 15 mins of leaving the phone alone will just turn off and go dead. And the only way to get it to turn back on is to try and hard reset the phone. The only way I have found to get the phone to stop this is by leaving an app like facebook running in the background. When I leave facebook open and leave the phone alone for 15 mins it does not go dead.

Random dead iPhone 4 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.