Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vibrate for text messages?

when I turn the phone on vibrate mode via the switch and I get a text message the phone does not vibrate to let me know that the text came in is there a setting somewhere I am missing to get a vibrate when a text comes in?

macbook pro 17 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 6:34 PM

26 replies

Jun 26, 2010 9:14 AM in response to sn4p2k

I have the same problem. No vibrate at all. When I flip the switch, I get the indicator on the screen, but no vibrate when calls come in or texts. Also, no vibrate when I flip the switch.

The other strange thing I've noticed is that the speaker seems pretty tinny. Maybe its just because it is new and has to break in, but I don't remember my 3G or 3GS sounding like this.

Anyone else?

Jun 26, 2010 3:40 PM in response to sn4p2k

Just to update everyone:

I made appointment and my apple store and took my phone in and explained the problem. The store keeps a bunch of product in the back that is not for retail sale (which I found out is SOP for all stores) in case of such issues with new products. They replaced my phone with a brand new one right out of the box, activated in in the store, and I restored it when I got home. No problems to report on the replacement phone. If you're having any problems I recommend making an appointment and going into the apple store and getting a replacement. They should have a small back stock for such instances. Good luck.

Jun 26, 2010 10:16 PM in response to sn4p2k

Well I'm glad I found this post. I thought I was the only one having this issue. My vibrate function doesn't work sometimes when getting a text message either. When I turn the phone off and on again, the problem is fixed for a while. I'm hoping it's a sw issue that will be addressed soon. Some have said that the vibrate mechanism gets stuck and a free app like iBrate loosens it up if you run it for a bit. I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm doubtful it's a "stuck" issue. Seems like a sw thing to me. I don't remember if iOS4 messed up my 3Gs like this, i only got to mess with it for 2 days before I upgraded to the 4 model.

Jun 20, 2011 4:55 PM in response to sn4p2k

if you want it to vibrate for texts make sure that vibrate is on for silent and its also on under ringer and alerts but more specifically make sure you have a text tone

the text tone will not play if you keep your phone on silent mode, instead it will vibrate twice notifying you of new texts

hope this helped!

Dec 11, 2011 8:29 AM in response to sn4p2k

Setting Alert tone other than 'None' for text worked for me until i restarted my phone one day and never worked after that. I worked around the issue by creating my own alert and ringer sound with 'no sound' in it and synced it to my phone and i used that as my alert and ringer tone. That way it still play the tone but since it is a quite tone you don't hear anything but vibrate only.

You can check this link to see how you can make your own tones.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_custom-iphone-ringtones-free.html

OR

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/10/26/ios-5-how-to-create-custom-ringtones-and -alerts-for-the-iphone/

Not fair to have gone through all this just to put my phone on vibrate only!!!

Feb 25, 2012 6:33 PM in response to sn4p2k

The only way I can make the pnone vibrate for text messages only is to acually set a ring tone for the texts in Settings and then flip the switch on the side of the phone to make the phone "silent". This only works if you have vibrate on to begin with of course. The only down side is that your In-Call ring tone will not sound, however the phone will vibrate for the incoming calls as well.

vibrate for text messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.