Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbness in left hand after holding phone

Has anyone experienced any numbness in their hand after holding the phone?

iMac & G4 Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 2:34 AM

94 replies

Jul 25, 2010 9:26 AM in response to forumalias

I'm not sure "everyone" who asks questions could or should be classified as "dumb". Perhaps just not experienced or informed.

I recall many many years ago, when i first embarked on the computer world and then the Internet, there was much I did not know. I learned, with time, experience, good and bad choices, and lots of "dumb" questions. Back then, though, we were a smaller closer knit community of like minded people who were much more willing to suffer newcomers and teach rather than ridicule.

And as my mentor says, the only dumb question is the one not asked. My dad is always calling me asking me questions that are fundamental to me, but not to him, about the iPhone I gave him. He's by no means dumb. Just not experienced. Plus he's elderly (90) and in a nursing home, with not so good a memory any more. Some questions are repetitive, as a result. But, "dumb" . . . NOPE!

Let's all just try to get along here and help each other. That's what this forum is all about, isn't it. (myself included).

Thanks,

Jon

Nov 14, 2017 8:50 PM in response to BertieS

Mobile Radiation: "The truth about mobile phone and wireless radiation" -- Dr Devra Davis - YouTube

I experience the same, and I've never had this experience from any other device. I've had experience with about 5 Android flagship devices, and the one I came from is the LG G4 which had a 0.72 W/kg of SAR. This iPhone 8 Plus is at 1.19 W/kg of SAR and I keep having a numb feeling no matter what. I actually feel like after prolonged exposure, that my thigh got heated out of it as well.

If it's not radiation (and I'm sure it's not heat) than clearly it is something we don't know about.

Jul 25, 2010 9:12 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:
Apple needs an IQ test for the next round. Anyone scoring below, oh say, 80 can't buy an iPhone. It would cut out about 85% of the senseless posts written here......

Along with the same percentage of their customers no doubt. 🙂

Companies make electronic devices and market them as something any idiot can buy and use. The problem is many idiots do buy and try to use them leading to such things as idiot forum posts asking questions that "normal" people can easily figure out.

I wouldn't hope for a change in this any time soon (actually... ever). A large portion of electronic devices purchased these days are done by people who will eventually have a dumb question to ask about it.

Dave

Jul 25, 2010 9:26 AM in response to forumalias

forumalias wrote:
Along with the same percentage of their customers no doubt. 🙂

Companies make electronic devices and market them as something any idiot can buy and use. The problem is many idiots do buy and try to use them leading to such things as idiot forum posts asking questions that "normal" people can easily figure out.

I wouldn't hope for a change in this any time soon (actually... ever). A large portion of electronic devices purchased these days are done by people who will eventually have a dumb question to ask about it.

Dave

@OlgaJ & KC7GNM

+50 to your posts. Excellent. 🙂

Also, @forumalias, I agree, but a lot of the posts are also from those who are too lazy to actually utilize Google. I love how they'll set up an account here, confirm their email, then post their question, when searching Google would be immensely FASTER...

Jul 25, 2010 9:29 AM in response to EBSkater

EBSkater wrote:

Also, @forumalias, I agree, but a lot of the posts are also from those who are too lazy to actually utilize Google. I love how they'll set up an account here, confirm their email, then post their question, when searching Google would be immensely FASTER...

This will never change (not searching Google first). Many have tried to educate the masses and all have failed. 🙂

Check out this site... great for passing along the "hint":

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=letme+google+that+foryou

Dave

Jan 1, 2017 10:47 PM in response to BertieS

It's obvious with the numbness in the left hand that holds the phone that it's the way the hand is being used. I don't have the problem when using my hand any other way and it happens with and without cellular or wifi on or off. The human hand was not designed to hold such a device by nature so maybe the only recourse is use the phone a little less. If it wasn't so darn addictive, I would put mine down too.
😁

Jan 2, 2017 10:23 AM in response to stephen714

stephen714 wrote:

It's obvious with the numbness in the left hand that holds the phone that it's the way the hand is being used. I don't have the problem when using my hand any other way and it happens with and without cellular or wifi on or off. The human hand was not designed to hold such a device by nature so maybe the only recourse is use the phone a little less. If it wasn't so darn addictive, I would put mine down too.
😁

Or, you could use a headset.

Sep 1, 2017 6:36 AM in response to BertieS

Actually yes. I noticed this and thought it was just my hand going numb from prolonged use. I don't have to use it long. I just have to hold it a certain way and that's with my hand near the charging port. It's the only time it happens. I try not to hold it that way but I'm used to it so it does happen from time to time.

Jun 25, 2010 3:05 AM in response to BertieS

ha! the power output of ANY phone's antenna is way way way below what could have any noticeable effect to the human body.

personally i would suggest it due to the relatively sharp edges of the phone, the way you hold it, maybe its resting on a blood vessel a little hard/digging in a bit more than most phones and cutting off the circulation a little (like if you sit cross legged for too long and your leg goes to sleep.)

numbness in left hand after holding phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.