6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 4:30 AM by Marcus Muench1
Marcus Muench1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I use the original Apple Composite AV Cable (part number MB129LL) on my iPhone 3G (former OS version 3.1.3) to watch movies borrowed in the iTunes store. This is the recommended cable, and it always worked fine.

On monday I updated my iPhone to iOS 4, and yesterday it tried to watch another movie with my iPhone, but it does not work anymore. The screen on my TV stays black, the video is shown on the iPhone's display, sometime I hear sound . Also, the phone now sometimes shows the message, that this accessory is not designed to work with this iPhone.

Seems like Apple screwed up something in iOS4, currently this officially recommended accessory does not work with my phone anymore. Is there anybody out there who can confirm this as a know bug in iOS4? Or someone who can tell me how to fix this? Unfortunately there seems to be no way to downgrade to OS 3.1.3.

Regards,
Marcus

iMac 20" Core Duo 2.0GHz, Mac OS X (10.6), 2 GB RAM, 256MB Video RAM. 500 GB Harddrive
  • 1. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    davhac Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have the exact same problem with my 3G since I updated to iOS4. Sound works, video is displayed on the iPhone, but TV screen stays black. No word anywhere, I find it odd. Is there a way to send this issue to Apple and get a response?
  • 2. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    You can go on the Air Video forum, it explains that something had been changed in iOS4 that doesn't allow 3rd party apps to use TV out anymore, or at last the workaround they were using in previous firmwares:
    http://inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1666.page
    There is a link in the thread telling you how to downgrade to 3.1.3, but if I were you I would sync my videos with iTunes in the native player app as the TV out still works with native apps (iPod player and YouTube). I would do that until Air Video works this out with Apple. I'm like you, I use Air Video a lot and I'm kind of mad that Apple disabled this for 3rd party apps without telling them and without giving them a solution.
    The wait begins.
  • 3. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    TheYodaMac Level 2 Level 2 (400 points)
    I dont think he mentioned using Air Video (whatever that is) - but I too am wondering...
    I am about to purchase this cable for my iPhone 4 (running iOS 4 of course) and want to know if it works with Photo slide shows (that is my immediate need).

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Also, can the Component AV cable work in any way with a composite TV? I doubt it, but was curious if you could "cover your bases" with one cable instead of having to get two.
  • 4. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    davhac wrote:
    You can go on the Air Video forum, it explains that something had been changed in iOS4 that doesn't allow 3rd party apps to use TV out anymore

davhac wrote:
    but if I were you I would sync my videos with iTunes in the native player app as the TV out still works with native apps (iPod player and YouTube).

Well, I only use the iPod app to play my videos, and this is the app that is broken. So I am really confused now what to do. I think I'try to revert to 3.1.3, but soon my iPhone 4 will arrive, and I hope that video playback in the iPod app on iPhone 4 will not be broken.
  • 5. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    I haven't tried the iPod app yet but the YouTube app works on my 3G with iOS4, and the Air Video forum basically says that the native apps still should work. I would open a ticket with Apple (or call them) if the TV output doesn't work with the iPod native app.
  • 6. Re: Composite AV Cable no video output since iPhone Upgrade to iOS4
    I did a complete restore in iTunes, this solved my problem with the iPod app and the composite cable. The phone now is nearly as fast as under firmware 3.1.3, and the playback over composite cable works again. After the restore the first try with the cable did not work (the phone again told me that this accessory was not intended to work with this iPhone), but after connecting and disconnecting the cable several times, it worked.
    So I am not really sure if this was a issue with iOS4, or if my iPhone's dock connector has a problem, I will have an eye on it.
    As soon as my iPhone 4 arrives I will post if this cable works with it or not.