Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 not charging via USB?

I got my phone on the 23rd, activated it with no problem. I plugged in my phone via USB around 11 pm last night and this morning, its only at 95% charge. This is after 7 hours of being plugged in via USB.

Has anyone else encountered a slow charging/non charging phone? I also noticed the battery life really ***** if you are on a call, but using apps really doesn't take much juice. So far I've lucked out in regard to other issues, but if the phone won't hold a charge/won't fully charge then it's not much use to me.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), also have a Custom built PC running XP Pro

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 5:02 AM

23 replies

Jun 27, 2010 8:08 AM in response to Tanya Depass

So the exact situation for mine is that I plug the iPhone4 into my MacBook (10.6.4) via the included USB cable before I go to bed. I wake up and the iPhone is only charged to around 94-95% according to the battery meter. Today I woke up and checked and it was at 100%, came back later and unplugged it and it was down to around 94% again. Unplugging/plugging it back in gets it to 100% eventually, but that should not be the case. Any solutions?

Jun 29, 2010 2:15 PM in response to Tanya Depass

My wife's iPhone 4 is having the same issue. It was working and charging fine and then stopped charging for no reason after about 3 days use. I've tried multiple adapters, USB, and AC Adapter. Nothing works. It just sits there with the lightning bolt icon with the red battery indicator and never boots up.

The really unfortunate thing is that it has a ton of vacation pics on it and I now have no way to get them off because it never gets enough of a charge to make it visible to the PC. We are obviously extremely unhappy about this. Luckily I got about 70% of the pics backed up to my laptop, but there were some really good shots that may now be gone forever which is more than a little depressing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jun 29, 2010 2:41 PM in response to Tanya Depass

The only thing that seemed to push me to 100% is turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when I charge it in the evening. Turning those off got me to 100% battery.

My SO had to exchange his cord, because the one that came with the iPhone didn't charge his phone nor did his Macbook see the phone until he used his old cord. Not sure if there's a fix or if there's a batch of defective phones out there.

Jun 29, 2010 2:42 PM in response to Tamara

I'm not sure if you're asking me about the MacBook sleeping, but no, that's definitely not my issue. I'm actually trying the AC adapter as well. Nothing will charge this phone. I hooked my 3GS to the same adapter (the one included with the iPhone 4) and it charges just fine. I put the iPhone 4 on the same setup, come back an hour later, and nothing.

iPhone 4 not charging via USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.