Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Volume Issues

I've made the jump from the 3G to the 4, so I don't know if a new setting was introduced with the 3GS.

I've noticed the max headphone volume is quite low. I have both Sound Check and Volume Limit set to OFF. What's weird is that if I get an email alert, the volume kicks up to it's true maximum.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dell, Windows Vista

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 6:20 AM

29 replies

Jun 25, 2010 7:39 AM in response to ChelseaDagger31

I've gotten plenty of new devices in my life and got all upset when something didn't work right. Then I realized I was indeed "special". So I'm not in a position to judge. Just easy to miss something when you're excited.

Do you get audio when using the headphones? Sometimes inserting and removing the headphones can resolve the earpiece audio issues.

Jun 25, 2010 7:44 AM in response to fjfjfjfjfjfjdksllair

Haha, I didn't mean to offend by that. Trust me, I know the feeling of excitement. I may have needed a change of pants when my phone arrived on Wednesday.

I've tried plugging and unplugging the headphones multiple times (calls work fine through them), and I've even restored the device a few times now.

I'm just trying to avoid what seems to be the inevitable.

Jul 9, 2010 9:37 AM in response to M Alamin

I think we're having the same issue. When I am playing the iPod function on my iPhone 4 through the headphone output to my car, I had the volume on the iPhone at max but the sound was quite low compared to my 3G. What's weird is that when I hit the next song or previous song buttons (or just the play/pause button to pause then start the same song again), the volume would suddenly start playing the new song with full max volume. The volume indicator on the phone always says it is at max volume through this whole process, so it's almost as if the phone doesn't recognize that it's playing the sound louder or softer. My Sound Check and Volume Limits are both set to off. My suspicion is that this is a software issue, not a hardware issue. Anybody seeing the same behavior when hitting next song, previous song, or just pause/play? I hope this is an iOS 4.0.1 fix.

Jul 13, 2010 12:04 AM in response to M Alamin

I have experienced an issue on my iPhone 4, when listening to the iPod app with headphones (v-moda ear buds) where my volume jumps at seemingly random intervals from whatever volume I set it to (like 40%) to full 100% max all by itself with no input from me. Not only does it blow my ears out (can I sue Apple for that?), but it is really freaky to watch the volume slider jump like it's being controlled by a demon.

I tried setting "Volume Limit" to both on and off, neither setting solved the problem. I tried also setting "Sound Check" to both on and off, and tried "Shake to Shuffle" in both on and off positions as well. None made any difference in the symptom of the voodoo volume jumping.

I read on other threads (search "iphone 4 volume") that this same problem is being experienced by other users (also reporting iPhone 4, iPod app, with headphones).

One user seems to think it's happening when they receive push notifications. Someone else suggested resetting the network settings would fix it.

I'll try putting my iPhone 4 into Airplane Mode to see if that helps. I have to say that I hope this bug is quickly squashed, as I don't see the point of having an iPhone 4 if I can't use the iPod app on it. Might as well keep my iPod touch and get a Verizon phone that actually doesn't drop nearly every call I make.

iPhone 4 Volume Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.