Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 unable to join 802.11n network

Is anyone else having issues connecting their new iPhone 4 to a 802.11n network? My iPad, iMac and work laptop (PC) all connect fine. When I go into Settings-->Wi-Fi-->Choose a Network... my 802.11g network is listed, but not my N. Choosing "Other..." does not work.

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 8:40 AM

9 replies

Jun 25, 2010 1:27 PM in response to crpep

I have a dual band Belkin Play router and it only sees the G network and not the N. The MBP right next to it sees both however. I am scared. Found your post by Google searching my issue. Sounds like it is not a widespread issue OR simply an issue with our network hardware rather than our iPhones. I think its just the two of us though. Ha.

Jun 25, 2010 1:52 PM in response to crpep

Since my router is dual band, the N band will not even broadcast at 2.4 GHz, which is what the iPhone 4 wifi talks to. Thus, my iPhone only sees the 2.4 GHz G band on my router. Generally speaking, a single band N router will automatically broadcast 2.4 GHz to operate with all devices, N, G and B alike. So, if you are rocking a dual band router, your iPhone will never see the N, 5 GHz band. Hope that helps you!

Aug 20, 2010 10:56 AM in response to crpep

I was having the same problem with my iphone 4 and Cisco-Linkys WRT160N router. For me, the bottleneck was with the Network Magic software I was using to control connections to the router. From the Network Magic software, I clicked Tasks>Add a Device and it began searching. While it was searching, from my iphone, I enabled WiFi and then entered my WEP key and it immediately connected. No more "Unable to Join" messages and no more having to use 3G at home!

Aug 31, 2010 7:17 AM in response to ShesAJar

I have a D-Link DIR-655 router. If I set the router to 802.11g only, the iPhone 4 connects and works fine, speedtest gives me the 12/1 Mbps I have. But if I set the router to 802.11n/g or 802.11n (2.4 Ghz of course), then the Iphone connects (at 39 Mbps according to router) but the connection doesn't work, you cannot navigate and speed gives 0 Mbps download and 50 Kbps upload...
Anyone with the same problem? I think I'm going to open a case both with Apple and D-Link... BTW, I'm using 4.0. IOS on the iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 unable to join 802.11n network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.