Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error messages "podcast ... cannot be played on this iPhone"

Since upgrading to iOS4 on my 3GS certain podcasts from iTunes will not play or download onto my iPhone. I used to be able to download or listen directly from iTunes before the upgrade but now they won't.

When listening to a podcase from iTunes I get the message "movie format is not supported."

When trying to download the podcasts I get the message "podcast ... cannot be played on this iPhone."

For example a podcast by TWIP / This Week in Photography is one that won't work.

What would cause this issue now and can it be resolved? Thanks

iMac 24" Intel / iPhone 3GS (iOS4), Mac OS X (10.5.8), In addition, running an older PBG4 laptop 1.33 & G4 Desktop 733

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 11:07 AM

52 replies

Jun 25, 2010 8:39 PM in response to Teal

I have since gone back and wiped my 3GS to default factory settings and added everything back from a backup and I still get the same error messages.

Maybe it's an encoding issue with the podcasters but I have a hard time believing that since they worked before I upgraded to iOS4 and they've been in the iTunes store for a long time.

Not sure what the fix will be??

Jul 3, 2010 12:33 AM in response to Teal

Still no fix.

Does anyone have AppleCare who's experiencing the same problems and can call them to determine if there is a fix or if Apple is aware of it?

I am past my year warranty and don't feel like forking out the money to buy Apple Care now just for this annoying issue.

Thanks in advance.

error messages "podcast ... cannot be played on this iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.