Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 w/ Bumper in Universal Dock?

Will the iPhone 4 w/ Bumper fit in the Universal Dock if we don't use one of those iPhone 4 adapter plates?

PC, Windows 7, LianLi PC-Q08A • Gigabyte H55N-USB3 • i7-860s • 8GB DDR3 • 160GB Intel G2 •

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 1:50 AM

15 replies

Jul 3, 2010 7:28 PM in response to Sean4510

Photos aren't necessary. You're getting conflicting information because some replies are from people using the Universal Dock with the iPhone 4 Adapter insert, while others are using the Universal Dock without any insert.

The iPhone 4 with bumper *+does not+* fit if you use the iPhone 4 Adapter insert in the Universal Dock.

The iPhone 4 with bumper does fit if you do not use an adapter insert in the Universal Dock.

The problem with not using an insert is that then the only thing supporting the iPhone in an upright position is the dock connecter.

Jul 6, 2010 12:52 AM in response to Synomenon

I can understand Apple not making a million different dock connectors to fit every single 3rd party case available for all the iPhones and iPods, but I find it hard to believe that they can't make one more size to fit a case that they make exclusively!

This is especially true after all this signal issue crap that's haunting the iPhone 4 right now. Personally, I would have bought a bumper case no matter what because even though I hate phone cases, this one actually helps with both the signal issue and a better grip on a rather slippery phone.

Apple needs to step it up and create a new 3-pack product so all of us with bumpers can use our universal and sound docks.

Jul 7, 2010 7:20 AM in response to Mallidaxian777

As an update, made2dock was kind enough to exchange my order for a new dock which is specifically designed to fit the iPhone4 with bumper, although the original configuration worked and the new configuration was not even up at the website when I ordered. And for the same $30 made2dock provides a very substantial machined aluminum block instead of the plastic Apple dock which will not accommodate the bumper case no matter what you do to it.

Jul 9, 2010 11:44 AM in response to Synomenon

I am also using the universal doc without the insert fits great. BUT I keep getting they annoying message that says "this accessory is not optimized for this iphone. It's just a 30-pin connector? How can it not be "optimized"? Very frustrating to keep having to clear that message. Another thing to note is that if you have tethering turned on it tries to tether with your PC when you use the dock.

iPhone 4 w/ Bumper in Universal Dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.