Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks on iPad not showing images in PDFs

I have a bunch of PDFs that are synched to my iPad.
On Preview, the PDFs look perfectly fine.

However in iBooks, on the iPad I find that about a third of the PDFs show all the text, but none of the images.

Anyone have an idea what could be going on here?

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 3:16 AM

41 replies

Jul 6, 2010 3:47 PM in response to Scott Nimmo

Same problem here.
Added PDFs to iPad by send file via email and using "Open in iBook" option. Original document is PPT converted to PDFs. Everything looks fine on the computer but SOME images/charts do not show up in iBook? Also tried GoodReader with same problem. 😟 I'm also getting these random white horizontal lines over solid blocks of color?? Any help would be appreciated! THX

Jul 9, 2010 10:09 AM in response to saminla88

I have the same problem. After a bit of investigations I noticed that it has to do with the way the iPad is handling transparent layers. In practice if you have Acrobat Pro, you might save again the file making it compatible with Acrobat 4 (I didn't try with Acrobat 5, but I think it should work as well).

It's quite an annoyance. I think apple should give it a fix.

Jul 9, 2010 10:59 AM in response to Scott Nimmo

UPDATE: Since my post earlier this week, I've done some testing... When I optimize the file (in Acrobat Pro... Advance Tab -> PDF Optimizer...) it appears to fix the problem. jpegs, transparencies, and charts/graphs (only tested PDF created from PPT source file) all show up on the iPad (using iBooks).

Since I didn't need any additional functionality, I checked all the boxes in the "Discard Objects" menu (in the PDF Optimizer).

Jul 15, 2010 12:09 PM in response to Scott Nimmo

More update... PDF optimizer alone did not solve problem. On further testing, I find that larger files (15MB+) is less stable. Most of the images would show up but not all... FYI, my documents are mostly text intensive and some graphic charts/diagrams. Last test was With over 1500 pages. Looking at the space audit, more than 50% is for the content stream. On smaller files, everything seem to work ok???

Jul 21, 2010 7:31 PM in response to Michael Jay Thrash

I noticed this as well on both ibooks and goodreader.
GoodReader's website has a great explanation of this.
It has to do with images in the PDF that are saved in the JPEG2000 format. Apparently the iPad doesn't display that.

Mac Users can fix this for free by opening the pdf in Preview, then doing a Save As.
I tried this and it worked fine for me.

Jul 22, 2010 12:59 AM in response to BasementJack

Thanks BasementJack, it's a very good tip.

Nevertheless, the drawback of the Preview method, is that if your pdf has a lot of images, the size of the resulting file saved by Preview can be fairly big (up to 3 times the original file for scanned pdfs).

I prefer to save the document with Acrobat removing the jpeg2000 as explained in the GoodReader help section. http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-trouble.html#pdfblankpages

iBooks on iPad not showing images in PDFs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.