Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac ~ optical drive really heats dvd media - normal?

Brand new iMac and DVDs come out of the drive very hot. Is this "normal" for an iMac? If this is normal, as in not indicating a potential hardware issue, then wouldn't this kind of heat at minimum degrade my media, if not immediately, then over time?

I am not finding many complaints about this via Google, so am wondering whether it is specific to my machine as opposed to the model itself. I am very concerned as years ago I bought an iMac which got downright smokey. Fortunately, Apple Store let me switch it out to another model as I had owned it less than two months. I thought Apple had resolved internal heat issues in the iMac. Don't want to go to a "too-hot" internal temp issue again; can't count on being saved by a machine switch later. 🙂 If heating of dvd media is not known to be problematic of current Intel iMacs, am thinking I should try to get an exchange before short return period expires.

If this isn't correct forum for my question, please let me know and I'll repost. Thanks.

Intel Mac 21.5" (MC413LL/A)(10,1), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 6:22 AM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2010 7:03 PM in response to mackedout

FWIW, to close out my query, the question has not been explicitly answered, but close enough. I returned the iMac to local Apple Store, well within the 14-day return period. I didn't want an exchange; I wanted a flat return and refund. After taking the iMac off to check for problems on the optical drive (which would determine whether I would have to pay the 10% open-box fee), the salesclerk soon returned to say I would not have to pay the fee. They also refunded the cost of the add-on ram I had them install at purchase (which he noted they don't usually do). A good-will gesture, I suppose. Works for me! Relieved to be getting a full refund, I didn't ask what they did or did not find wrong. While I haven't had success with either of my iMac buys, I can say the local Apple Store always does right by me.

New iMac ~ optical drive really heats dvd media - normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.