Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Create Cinepak Movies

Suddenly, I cannot make Cinepak movies with QuickTime Pro Version 7 in any format. I once could do so as AVI. Then, as MOV. Now, no way.

Don't tell me about how old (1992) or how poor quality is. Software I must use to play (JMF) supports nothing else (and probably never will). I'm working on getting Ogg-Theora to play with faked JMF API but won't have it done in time.

Forget H.264 with its onerous licensing. Theora will work fine when development is done -- maybe.

What has Apple done? Why remove capability for no apparent reason and without notice. Must I downgrade to previous version? Current version is 7.6.6.

This change has killed my business. Must have help immediately.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 2:13 PM

My version of 7.6.6 still has the Cinepak (ugh) codec available.
8 replies

Jun 28, 2010 3:01 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Yes, Cinepak is worse than "ugh." Can't wait to get away from it.

In which format? I've looked at them all, especially AVI and MOV. Can't find it.

AVI has DV-PAL, DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, DVCPRO-PAL, DVCPRO50-NTSC, DVCPRO50-PAL, and None.

MOV has Animation, Apple Intermediate Codec, Applet Pixlet Video, DV-PAL, DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, DVCPRO-PAL, DVCPRO50-NTSC, DVCPRO50-PAL, H.264, JPEG 2000, MPEG-4 Video, None, Photo-JPEG, PNG, and Xiph Theora. I installed the last one independently. It works.

No Cinepak. Something I've done??

It says: Version 7.6.6 (1709) and QuickTime™ Version 7.6.6 (1742).

I've had strange things happen before with QuickTime updates such as making Cinepak no longer available with MOV but having it show up in AVI. Now, it's nowhere. Another identical Mac had it disappear before it went away from mine. According to what I read, it's still on the machine somewhere, just not accessible from my current configuration.

Perhaps, there's some sort of table of formats and codecs that's maintained behind my back (or screen) that, if found, could make ancient, obsolete, and ugly codecs available once more.

Jun 28, 2010 4:53 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Well, my QT 7 does have a Preferences pane with just General, Full Screen, and Recording tabs. No Advanced tab. Woe is me!

I have been through several upgrades and so must have the file associated with the pane somewhere. It's either in my own area or in the system area. Might it be in the QT property list file? Or, is it the "QuickTime Preferences" data file? That one is binary and may be difficult to tweak.

Does someone have a preferences file tweaker?

Jun 28, 2010 8:07 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

There actually is a way. It's bizarre and not stable, but it works for now.

When exporting, I select AVI. Then, I choose Use: Default Settings. In previous versions, the default for AVI was (drum roll....) Cinepak. It comes back from the dead. This zombie may not survive though.

So, Apple -- please allow we ordinary mortals to choose what to do. You really don't know the reasons that we often must choose options that you may hate. Please leave us some space.

I have found a temporary work-around. Give me back my computer!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2010 10:10 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Until you actually use it, you cannot imagine how badly it destroys good videos.

Unfortunately, we have a ton of code tied up in JMF, which only does Cinepak. I'm working on a scheme to use Theora, which is not so old (also not so new). It's plenty good for 3-second 400x300 videos though. The compression is excellent, and the quality is good enough for the resolution we must have.

I wish I had another answer, but our users must not be saddled with installation issues. We must use an all-Java solution.

We're providing real science experiments online with interactive data collection.

Thanks for your help. It helped to point me to the ultimate solution.

Cannot Create Cinepak Movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.