Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unreadable/Unmountable USB Drive

I've got a had drive that was being used for Time Machine that will no longer mount. The drive is visible in DiskUtility but there is no partition and it is listed as "Read Only". All options to re-format, partition, repair, etc are greyed out. I've seen this before but I am not sure how to fix it.

The power went out during the first back up of the MacBookPro using Time Machine (long enough for the battery to die) and since then the partition is busted and the drive will not mount. It was formatted with GUID & Journal Extended.

Since there is nothing on it we care about is there any way to re-format the drive completely so we can start over?

Thanks,
Grant

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 1:04 PM

5 replies

Jun 26, 2010 9:09 PM in response to renderbox

Here is what I've got from Disk Info:

Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted
Disk Identifier : disk2
Media Name : WD Ext HDD 1021 Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : USB
Locked : Yes
Writable : No
Ejectable : Yes
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 2
Partition Number : 0

Unreadable/Unmountable USB Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.