Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

D-Link DIR-615 and iChat problem

I had a netgear previously, but it broke after a year so I bought this D-Link. I never had any problems with iChat, but now I get disconnected from iChat every few minutes. Any thoughts?

Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 27, 2010 2:06 AM

9 replies

Jun 27, 2010 12:53 PM in response to R3DH3R0

Hi,

A when might be useful.

During iChat just being Logged In ?
During Text chats ?

During Video Chats ? This is much more likely depending of the features of the device.
Turn Off any DoS (Denial of Service) or SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection).
Video chats send enough data to either cause SPI to Fail (Closes port) or DoS thinks the amount of Data is an Attack and closes the Port.

If it is a any time you are logged , if not Chatting, then look at the WiFi Channel is use (if you are WiFi) and change the channel in the D-Link to try and avoid interference from other nearby WiFi units.

User uploaded file

8:53 PM Sunday; June 27, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Jun 27, 2010 1:34 PM in response to R3DH3R0

Hi,

Whether you notice in a browser or not doing regular browsing proves very little.
iChat is always on and will spot every break there is in the connection.
a Browser only contact the internet now and then even when there is some Flash content that gets it to Refresh automatically.

A streaming Video, such as YouTube that stutters, is more likely to show up breaks in the connection.

Do you get the same issue if you connect by Ethernet ?
(Is it the routing device or just WiFi).

Interference to the WiFi signal can be other devices on a close by or the same channel.
It can also be caused by power bricks for a laptop of printer and the like or by Microwave ovens that are in use nearby. Power cables through the walls can also cause and issue.

I would suggest trying a small move or even rotating it ninety degrees to see if that offers any improvement.
My house has a 2 metre greater ground floor area at the front of the house where my device used to sit.
The upstairs wall (brick) is supported by a steel joist. This caused problems for one room at the back of the house for one laptop.
As I have a DSL Modem/Router combined device I was able to move it to another phone socket nearer the rear of the house.

My device also is set to channel 02 on a European setting (I get 1 through 13 where I am.)

Hope this helps.

As it is late here it may be a while before I reply again.

User uploaded file

9:34 PM Sunday; June 27, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Jun 28, 2010 12:10 PM in response to R3DH3R0

Hi,

In iChat > Preferences > Accounts > Server Settings which port is iChat logging in to AIM with ?

The Default in iChat 4 and 5 is port 5190 with SSL.

Whilst Logged out you can change the port.
Try port 443.
IN Snow Leopard/iChat 5 you have to press Enter to "Set" the port change.

The Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) will give you a very rough look at Data in and Out if you click the Network tab at the bottom.

With just a browser open it will show no data coming or going for long periods
However with iChat open you will get a network blip of data In or out about every 5 seconds.

IF iChat loses the connection then it will return to 0 or long periods again.

IF you have never set the D-Link up for iChat then that may be the issue.
This is an Emulator for Rev A
It should take you to Advanced across the tabs and Advanced Network in the Menu items on the left.

IS your UPnP Enabled ?

If you have a different Model, start here http://www.dlink.com/products/default.aspx?pid=DIR-615&tab=3
Choose your Rev number and then Emulator in the menu bx top right of the next page.

For Video/Audio chats you will also need it to Respond the WAN Pings as iChat sends and receives a Ping.

In Tools > Time it may pay to make sure the device os set to the same Time as the Mac and other PCs.

User uploaded file

8:10 PM Monday; June 28, 2010

Jun 29, 2010 11:53 AM in response to R3DH3R0

Ok,

In System Preferences > Network > Advanced button > DNS tab are there any DNS servers listed ?

From the Emulator again at This page does your D-Link shop any DNS server in the WANT section ?
The Emulator is blank as it is not connected to anything.

IF they are not is System Preferences > Network copy them across.

User uploaded file

7:53 PM Tuesday; June 29, 2010

Jul 1, 2010 11:55 AM in response to R3DH3R0

OK,

Pings.
To Ping someone or an IP is to use the computer or router to send a Sort of "knock knock" request to the IP or server/computer name.

On most devices you can Ping other devices on your LAN as there is no block to this.

A lot of devices though, have this disabled for the WAN (Wide Are Network + Internet) side of things.
This keeps the Public IP your ISP gives your Modem somewhat secret.

Like most things on the internet it an be abused.
The Network Utility in Applications/Utilities has the ability to send Pings.
The normal function is to send 10 pings and see if any get lost and to see how long they take to get a response.
You will see that there is an option to send Unlimited Pings. It is this that gets abused. There are ways of sending many pings very quickly as an Attack.
This can result in your Internet connection failing as the device or computer get tied up dealing with the Pings.

On the other hand certain apps like iChat use a Ping to confirm that it is the correct place/computer is is talking to.

For iChat it works like this.
One end send the Visible Invite (The Pop up to Invite to an A/V Chat).
This is sent by iChat on Port 5678

iChat then moves to port 16402 to do the Connection Process using the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol).
Part of this process is to send a Ping to confirm where the Visible Invite went to is the place/computer that is responding to the SIP Request. As you can be logged in twice to a Screen Name it confirms that the you are responding - It also stops someone eavesdropping and pretending to be you.

iChat will not work in A/C Chat unless this function is Allowed.

*Denial of Service (DoS)*
This is somewhat of a hang over from the days when groups of "Hackers" used to organise a time to bring down a web server.
Lots of people would all go to the same web site (requesting a page)
Then they would hit the refresh button over and over (Many Request for the page).
eventually so many requests are made that the web server cannot cope and the whole server would "go down" and lose it's Internet Connection.

Strictly speaking it does not have to be application related like a web server/page but has to involve the computer doing something to reply.

With DoS (if your device has it) it has a preset threshold where it will regard the data coming to your computer as being "Too Much, Too Quickly", and cut the one port the data is coming in on.

With iChat Video there is a vast amount of data that can come very fast with modern Internet Speeds and you bump into the Threshold even before you see your Buddies Video pic.

There is no way to adjust the Threshold so it needs to be Disabled for iChat to work.

*Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)*
Works in a similar manner to DoS in that it tries to Inspect the incoming stream and judge if it should be allowed. With modern speeds there come a point when it cannot cope and it again shuts the port it is happening on to "Protect" the whole Internet Connection.

Again for iChat it needs to be Disabled if you have it.

Limiting iChat to use only 500kbps of your Bandwidth (a portion of your Internet speed in most cases) may get around the Threshold of DoS and help SPI cope.

There are some risks to Disabling these settings but mostly this depends on how big a target you appear to be on the Internet.
There is a smaller risk of suffering drive by attacks. However I have never suffered one in 5 years of using iChat.

I have not suggested changing any of the other settings in your device.

User uploaded file

7:55 PM Thursday; July 1, 2010

D-Link DIR-615 and iChat problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.