Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmark ribbon not appearing when pushing bookmark icon

I'm reading a Project Gutenberg book I downloaded from the iBooks store, and when I press the bookmark icon in the upper right of a page, no ribbon comes down to indicate it's marked. When I go to the list of bookmarks, only sometimes has a bookmark been registered, and when it has, it's for a spot a few pages earlier in the text.

If I click on the listed bookmark, iBook will take me to the page it claims I've marked, and the red ribbon will be there.

Is this just an issue with the epub formatting of some books, like this free one?

iPad, Other OS

Posted on Jun 27, 2010 10:26 AM

10 replies

Oct 25, 2011 7:02 AM in response to edward25

I am having the same problem with several books including Jobs' biography. It seems that this problem always occurs in landscape orientation but if you turn the iPad 90 degrees to portrait mode it works ok.

I've noticed other problems in landscape mode such as pages appearing blank until you turn it to portrait mode, and text not highlighting properly in iOS 5 and iBooks.

Oct 25, 2011 4:58 PM in response to Doug Dunston

I have never seen a more problematic eBook on the iBookstore than (as someone said, ironically) the Steve Jobs bio. I mean, if you check the threads in this section, it's wall-to-wall complaints about some aspect of that book acting screwy. Poor Steve. Of all the books this had to happen to, it was the visionary who made it all possible.

Oct 25, 2011 5:10 PM in response to JVXB

OK, I have a theory about how this thing is behaving; bookmarks seem to show up/behave as you would expect (when I tap on the ribbon) provided I have the font size set to something that appears to paginate the book to its original (just a guess on my part) layout. If I increase the font size to make things larger/more easily readable, then things get screwy as described above as the pagination bumps up the # of pages and the page #s where a ribbon gets place doesn't seem to correspond to the exact visible page I wanted it on. Confused? So was I, but the evidence seems to point to this.

Anyway, try this out and see if it doesn' behave as I described.

Bottom line - iBooks does not behave in a rational manner and therefore it is buggy in my opinion - i.e. this is not a "feature"...

I have no experience with other iBooks downloads. Steve Jobs is my first purchase - and this this is my introduction to iPad and iBooks and terribly ironic to discover behavior like this with the ode to Steve book - which, BTW, I am enjoying max.

Oct 25, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Doug Dunston

I think I've found out how to fix it. Apperently there is one font size that WILL NOT show bookmarks when you add them. For my Dracula book, its somewhere in the middle size fonts, but if make the size just one "degree" bigger or smaller, voilà bookmarks work perfectly. This worked for me, so give it a try. Also I've found out the there are different sized "not bookmarkable" for different Books, so go ahead and shrink/grow the font size. hope it works for you, cause reading is way too fun!!!

Nov 14, 2011 6:17 PM in response to Doug Dunston

Still having this problem intermittently. It seems to come up every few chapters in the book I am reading.

Also I've run into a situation where after a certain page, all other pages are blank. It can be corrected by adjusting the font size but why should I have to adjust the font size every few hours of reading? That bug seems to accompany the bookmark bug.

Seems a bit more buggy than I'd expect from apple. Has anybody submitted an official bug report or has anybody heard whether these are known issues or not?

Bookmark ribbon not appearing when pushing bookmark icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.