7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 2:31 PM by patoscit
_Eric_ Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
I tried looking up a word in an iBooks book, it told me I had to download the dictionary before it could look up words. The download keeps failing, is there any other way to install the dictionary part of iBooks?

 iMac8,1  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.6.4),  MacBookPro3,1  2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • crazy person Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)
    I am not connected to the interne and it tells me It is not available in that language
  • Mainyard Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I'm having trouble downloading the iBooks dictionary as well.
    The Dictionary page opens and shows the word "Downloading..."
    with a progress bar underneath it. But the download never starts.
    Has anyone had any success with this?
  • Mainyard Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    OK, I finally got it to work - once I realized that iBooks had been running since I downloaded it. I quit the app then restarted it and the dictionary downloaded with no problems.
  • _Eric_ Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
    Mainyard wrote:
    OK, I finally got it to work - once I realized that iBooks had been running since I downloaded it. I quit the app then restarted it and the dictionary downloaded with no problems.

I finally got it working, after closing the app and doing a full restart of the system. Thanks.
  • Phil Egan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Just for clarification... I was unclear as to how to "quit the app" (iBooks) and then go about restarting so as to get the dictionary to download. So, here is how I managed to get the dictionary to download. Hopefully it will work for others.

1. With iBooks open I turned of my iPod by holding down the power button and accepting the turn off slide.

2. I turned on my iPod again and then opened iBooks.

3. I opened a book and then went to look up a word, which prompted the "download dictionary" option, which I followed.

4. I got the message that the "dictionary was not available in this language"

5. I double tapped this screen, which opened the "download" screen for the dictionary (which I had seen many times before but it would never start the download.

6. This time however, when I hit the "download" option.. amazing... the download began and completed successfully.

+NOTE: The process was slightly different on my wife's iPod... after the first part of the process described above (steps 1 - 3) on going to look up a word using dictionary, it went straight to the dictionary download screen, which I tapped to download and the download then began. There was no "download not available in this language" message.+

I hope that helps as I was chasing my tail on this and it was bugging me.
  • Hoefthier Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I followed the procedure Phil Egan described, but when I got the message ' dictionary not available in this language'(in Dutch) I did not get a download screen when I double tapped the screen. I have never seen this screen come up anyway. I was reading a book in English by the way and looking for an English dictionary.
  • patoscit Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi.

The most likely reason for your english ebook not to download the english dictionary, is that the metadata for the ebook doesn't have the language set to english.

For example, I converted a PDF document to an EPUB file using a program called Calibre ( which can be freely downloaded, do a search for it). However, the language was set as UND in the resulting EPUB file.

Here is a page I found on fixing this issue: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/how-to-fix-dictionary-proble ms-in-ibooks-1.1/

Here's my version of it:

1. Create a new folder on your desktop and open Terminal.

2. In Terminal, type:
    cd
    and leave a space after it.

3. Drag the new folder into Terminal and this will make the path of the folder appear. Press enter.

4. In Terminal, type:
    unzip
    and leave a space after it. Now drag the EPUB file into terminal and then press enter.

5. In Terminal, type:
    open - e content.opf

6. When TextEdit opens, find the language line and change UND to EN.
    *** EN has to be put in CAPITALS.

7. Save the file and close it.

8. In Terminal, type:
    zip
    and leave a space after it, then drag the EPUB file into terminal
    and then type content.opf

9. Remove the EPUB file from your iPhone by unpicking it in iTunes and then doing a sync.

10. Replace the EPUB file in /Users/USERNAME/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Books with the newly updated one, and then do a sync again.