11512 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 2:31 PM by patoscit
Just for clarification... I was unclear as to how to "quit the app" (iBooks) and then go about restarting so as to get the dictionary to download. So, here is how I managed to get the dictionary to download. Hopefully it will work for others.
1. With iBooks open I turned of my iPod by holding down the power button and accepting the turn off slide.
2. I turned on my iPod again and then opened iBooks.
3. I opened a book and then went to look up a word, which prompted the "download dictionary" option, which I followed.
4. I got the message that the "dictionary was not available in this language"
5. I double tapped this screen, which opened the "download" screen for the dictionary (which I had seen many times before but it would never start the download.
6. This time however, when I hit the "download" option.. amazing... the download began and completed successfully.
+NOTE: The process was slightly different on my wife's iPod... after the first part of the process described above (steps 1 - 3) on going to look up a word using dictionary, it went straight to the dictionary download screen, which I tapped to download and the download then began. There was no "download not available in this language" message.+
I hope that helps as I was chasing my tail on this and it was bugging me.
I followed the procedure Phil Egan described, but when I got the message ' dictionary not available in this language'(in Dutch) I did not get a download screen when I double tapped the screen. I have never seen this screen come up anyway. I was reading a book in English by the way and looking for an English dictionary.
The most likely reason for your english ebook not to download the english dictionary, is that the metadata for the ebook doesn't have the language set to english.
For example, I converted a PDF document to an EPUB file using a program called Calibre ( which can be freely downloaded, do a search for it). However, the language was set as UND in the resulting EPUB file.
Here is a page I found on fixing this issue: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/how-to-fix-dictionary-proble ms-in-ibooks-1.1/
Here's my version of it:
1. Create a new folder on your desktop and open Terminal.
2. In Terminal, type:
and leave a space after it.
3. Drag the new folder into Terminal and this will make the path of the folder appear. Press enter.
4. In Terminal, type:
and leave a space after it. Now drag the EPUB file into terminal and then press enter.
5. In Terminal, type:
open - e content.opf
6. When TextEdit opens, find the language line and change UND to EN.
*** EN has to be put in CAPITALS.
7. Save the file and close it.
8. In Terminal, type:
and leave a space after it, then drag the EPUB file into terminal
and then type content.opf
9. Remove the EPUB file from your iPhone by unpicking it in iTunes and then doing a sync.
10. Replace the EPUB file in /Users/USERNAME/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Books with the newly updated one, and then do a sync again.