Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change order of mail accounts in iPhone 4 mail app

Is there a way to do this?

I have several accounts, and wondered if I can put the ones I use most at the 'top' of the list. But it seems there is no way to change the order of accounts in the Mail home screen - the list currently is ordered (I think) in the sequence that the accounts were created by the initial sync from my computer.

Thanks in advance etc.

Mac Pro (2x2.66 Dual Xeon), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 9Gbytes

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 8:22 AM

Settings-Mail-Default account, just for one mail account though

otherwise, you're right, you'll have to delete then
add back in the order you want
16 replies

Sep 21, 2010 11:02 AM in response to Pointy-Head

This does not work for me.

I followed the directions provided at the link;

1. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the computer and iTunes is running.
2. Under DEVICES in the left menu of iTunes click on your iPhone.
3. Click the Info tab at the top of the screen.
4. Make sure the box next to "Sync Selected Mail Accounts" is checked.
5. Deselect all mail accounts except the account you want at the top of your list.
6. Click the Sync button. No messages will be lost.
7. After syncing, leave the previous account selected and select the mail account you want to appear next in line.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 until all of your accounts are synced.

When I get to step 5 I see that only one of my accounts is listed though I have 5 mail accounts active on my phone. Why don't the other accounts show up?

Oct 31, 2010 4:45 PM in response to Gavin Lawrie

You can change the order by opening up the plist file for Mail.app and dragging the order to whatever you'd like. The file is in [Home]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist. Then look for the section called MailSections and you just drag the item to where you'd like for it to appear. I've made a screenshot here:

http://skitch.com/scotchi/d6dig/abracadabra

Feb 21, 2011 9:41 AM in response to PatsyHelp

This is a frustrating ordeal for sure, but if you have a jailbroken iPhone, it's pretty easy. The above method is most likely for Leopard and not iOS 4.x.x

Here's the location on the iPhone:

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.accountsettings.plist

Your accounts are listed toward the bottom in the order in which they appear in the Mail application. Change the order by editing the plist. For Windows, here's a good plist editor: http://goo.gl/wj2qE

Rename the original in case something gets jacked. Respring and you're set.

Enjoy!

How to change order of mail accounts in iPhone 4 mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.