Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive wont mount

I have 4 WD external hard drives, I came home this evening to find out we lost power, I turned on my iMac only to find 1 out of 4 hard drives are mounted , 1 works 1 is lit but not mounted 2 have no lights on and they are all plugged into a surge protector. I tried re-booting but same results any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMAC

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 3:27 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2010 4:21 PM in response to jgatto

jgatto wrote:
I have 4 WD external hard drives, I came home this evening to find out we lost power, I turned on my iMac only to find 1 out of 4 hard drives are mounted , 1 works 1 is lit but not mounted 2 have no lights on and they are all plugged into a surge protector.

That should protect you against spikes, but not dips or power failures, which can damage the directory structure, especially if they were being written-to when the power failed or dipped.

Try repairing them with Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities) folder.

Do yourself a large favor -- get a U.P.S. system. You can now get one with a USB cable that connects to your Mac for under $70. It will run your Mac (and external HD, modem, etc, but not a printer) for at least a few minutes, and will signal OSX (via the USB cable) when it's switched from utility power to battery, so OSX can do a controlled power-down.

Thus you're protected against both surges and dips in power, and your Mac won't have an abnormal shutdown when they occur.

When you connect the USB cable, you'll get a new set of options in System Preferences > Energy Saver, where you can tell OSX when to do the shutdown -- after a specified number of minutes on battery; and/or when the battery is at a specified percentage; and/or when there's a specified number of minutes left on battery power.

Jun 28, 2010 4:34 PM in response to jgatto

jgatto wrote:
how can i "Try repairing them with Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities) folder" if it wont mount...there is nothing there in disk utility except the one i have working

You didn't say that.

In that case, try different port(s) and cable(s) and combinations; and plug them into a known good outlet. If there are any "reset" buttons on the drives, use them.

If still no help, they're most likely toast. 😟

As a last resort, try them with a different computer; Contact WD; or take them to an Apple Store or Authorized Repair location.

External Hard drive wont mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.