Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Here is How you close out an iPhone app that is running in the background

How do you close out an iPhone app that is running in the background in the new iOS 4? We’ve had more than one reader ask this question since the launch of the new iPhone operating system, and the iPhone 4, last week. Some have asked about this due to battery drain concerns, and others just because they want to be able to shut down a backgrounded app.

So this seems as good a time as any to share a quick tip on how you can force apps to close in the new iOS 4.

There are two ways to fore an app to close down under iOS 4. The first is by doing a ‘force quit’ on the app, just as we have done under the previous version of the iPhone OS. To do this, you press and hold the power button while you are in the app you want to close down. Wait for the ‘Slide to power off’ bar appears across the top of the iPhone – then don’t hit Cancel, but instead just hold down the Home button continuously until the app closes and you drop back to the home screen.

The much easier method now available in iOS 4 is to use the Multitasking bar to close any app you want. Here’s how:

– Double tap the Home button to bring up the Multitasking bar

– Press and hold anywhere on the multitasking bar until the icons on it start to wiggle.

– While they are wiggling, each icon has a Minus sign symbol above it.

– Press the Minus symbol above any app to close it down.

That’s it. This will work for any app you want to close, including the Apple built-in apps like Mail and Safari etc.

Hope this quick tip is helpful to some of you who are getting to know iOS 4.

3GS, iPad, Mac Book Pro

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 5:01 PM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2018 5:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:
This information, as well as the OP's post, are in the latest user guide. I guess nobody reads manuals anymore 😟

You mean Apple puts out manuals? I thought it was either reference the chintzy little foldout that comes packaged with the phone or else buy one of Pogue's books?

Jun 28, 2010 5:30 PM in response to Community User

The apps on the bottom are recently accessed apps. Instead of closing when you exit the app they go into a suspended state, and will load faster when you next launch them. Unless they are a streaming app (like Pandora) they do not use any power when they appear in the active app list.

This information, as well as the OP's post, are in the latest user guide. I guess nobody reads manuals anymore 😟

Jun 28, 2010 6:22 PM in response to EBSkater

I just got back from Radio Shack and they showed me what this guy posted and yes some of them are running in the background, my Trapster was yelling at me that I was in a school zone and I could see the battery going down. I know that not all of them are running in the background some are just there for easier access but I would rather not take a chance and get stuck when I am out without a charger.

Here is How you close out an iPhone app that is running in the background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.