Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail font is too small while I'm typing...

Hello-

When I'm typing a message in Mail, the font is too small and difficult to read. I know I can increase the size of the font as I would in a Pages document, but then the recipient will be getting an email with a larger-than-usual font.

What I want is for the font to look larger on my screen, but the font still be normal-sized when the email recipient reads my email message. I know I could use the zoom feature available in Universal Access in System Preferences. But that just zooms in on the entire screen in a way I don't like.

Is there way to just increase the size of the font as I type, but not have it be larger for the recipient?

Thanks!

iMac9,1, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 11:58 PM

7 replies

Jun 30, 2010 2:53 PM in response to JDLee

I tried increasing the size of the font in a Mail email and sending it to my Yahoo account, and when I opened that email the font was very large, so I'm afraid I was right

No, you are wrong. Your mail preferences settings affect what you see, whether it is incoming or outgoing, but not what someone else on a different machine sees. They see whatever they have set in their preferences.

There are some exceptions to these rules when rich text/html mail is involved, which I can explain if you want.

Jul 8, 2010 8:01 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Please explain as I have the same issue - I never know what the receiver gets. I do know that sometimes I get a replied/forwarded email with my message embedded in it and it is huge - I have set my fonts at 14pt for typing. but how an i be sure my clients don't see this huge font?

it is so easy to enlarge a rec'd email or a safari webpage, but why can't this be done easily? is there no other work around??

Jul 11, 2010 3:20 AM in response to David Forte

Please explain as I have the same issue - I never know what the receiver gets. I do know that sometimes I get a replied/forwarded email with my message embedded in it and it is huge - I have set my fonts at 14pt for typing. but how an i be sure my clients don't see this huge font?

If you have used Mail > Preferences to set your font at 14pt, that will normally leave the size of the font which your recipient sees up to his own software and settings. Your outgoing email body will not contain any info about font and size unless you have deliberately set them for that particular message in the New Message pane.

In the end, it is not always possible to dictate what your clients see. Their software usually gives them the capability, if they want to use it, to read emails in the font and font size they find most comfortable.

it is so easy to enlarge a rec'd email or a safari webpage, but why can't this be done easily?

What is it that you want done exactly? Sometimes Mail just does not have the features people need. So they use Entourage or Thunderbird instead.

Mail font is too small while I'm typing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.