Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you sync movies to iPod without making another version?

I have a bunch of of movies that I ripped myself (DVDrips) and I ripped them in XviD. I then converted them to QuickTime (iTunes) compatible format. However if I sync to iPod touch it says I need to make an iPod version, or something along the lines of that. I now have 2 copies of the same movie in iTunes. This is a little bit annoying, I was wondering if there was a "Universal" format that I could convert to, that would be playable on all device in iTunes, without making another copy?

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 3 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 10:03 PM

3 replies

Jun 30, 2010 8:27 AM in response to heytaxi

From -> Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing video with iTunes and iPod

Here are the formats that can be played on the iPod;
H.264
File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.

MPEG-4
File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio. "

Jun 30, 2010 10:56 AM in response to heytaxi

That info seems to be a bit old (the original iPod video).
The iPod will play 640x480 (it scales it down when playing on the iPod) as will AppleTV/iTunes so use that. The file size will be larger than needed for the iPod but you won't have two different files.

See this -> http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/the-complete-guide-to-ipod-vi deo-formats-and-display-resolutions/
for more info

How do you sync movies to iPod without making another version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.