📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move SMS texts from iphone 3g to Iphone4

Morning all. A nice delivery man has just brought me a shiney new Iphone4 which I would like to fill up with my old previous SMS text messages. The rest of the stuff I can sync without an issue. Is there any way of copying the data from one to the other?

Cheers Simon

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 2:53 AM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2010 1:33 AM in response to Cocheese1968

I think you should transfer your sms to pc at first and then transfer your sms to iPhone4 from pc.[Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS|http://www.softwarebbs.com/wiki/Tansee iPhone_TransferSMS] may help you.It is a one-click solution when your iPhone text box is full and keeps rejecting receiving any texts.You can transfer the backup of all important iPhone SMS to computer as a txt file or a ANTS file.You could help it.

Message was edited by: asdttk

Jan 3, 2011 8:17 AM in response to Cocheese1968

*Step 1:* Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and iOS.
*Step 2:* Connect your current iPhone to iTunes and sync it. Verify that your original iPhone is backed up. For more information on how to do this, see iPhone: iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

*Step 3:* Connect your new iPhone 4 to iTunes (on the same computer you used to back up your current iPhone 3G).

*Step 4:* iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or set up your new iPhone as a new phone. When prompted, select the backup of your current iPhone. If iTunes does not prompt you to select a backup to restore when you connect your new iPhone, use iTunes to restore iOS on your new iPhone and try this step again. Note: During the process of restoring your old backup to a new iPhone, you may see the iTunes progress bar pause. If this occurs, please allow for additional time for the upgrade to complete.

*Step 5:* After iTunes finishes restoring the backup you selected to your new iPhone, the iPhone will restart.

*Step 6:* When your new iPhone appears again in the iTunes window, select it.

*Step 7:* Click the tabs (Info, Music, Photos, and so on) and verify or change the items you want to sync.

*Step 8:* Click Apply to sync your new iPhone 4 with iTunes.

*Step 9:* Verify that your saved SMS messages are present on your new iPhone.

Feb 21, 2012 9:25 PM in response to asdttk

Hi,

I just got tansee (free trial) and transferred my SMS's to my mac from an iphone 4

Does the program have an option to transfer files FROM Mac back to another Iphone?

See i need to get my sms's from my old iphone 4 to my new 4s.

I can not restore from back up cos i did that initially and battery was dying out so the guys at apple store asked me to set it up as new (which fixed battery issue) and get my data (calenders, contacts, phontos, notes) via the cloud. I got everything back except my Messages and i really need them

I already tried touchcopy and phoneview but to no avail.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dec 7, 2012 4:02 AM in response to Cocheese1968

I had an iPhone 3GS and wanted to transfer my SMS's to my new iPhone 4

I saw all the above methods

Sorry to say but all are very confusing

so I found this

Extremely simple and easy method to solve (The SMS Transfer) issue

I wanted to share with the community

well here it goes

Step One : Backup both your iPhones

Step Two : Search and download iTools for iPhone free download (for PC or MAC)

Step Three : Open itools & plug in your iphone 3GS

Step Four : Your iPhone will be detected & all details would be displayed on the left Panel

Step Five : Click on File Sytems

Step Six : On the right Panel click on filesystem (Jailbreak)

Step Seven : Go to filesystem/user/ library/sms

Step Eight : On the far right panel, you will see some very important folders and files

Step Nine : Simply Select All, Right Click and copy em in a new Folder may be on the desktop (Name it iPhone 3GS SMS)

Step Ten : Disconnect iphone 3GS and connect iPhone 4

Step Eleven : Repeat the steps from Five to Nine (Only copy them in a new folder and name it iPhone 4 SMS. (Note : We dont need these files n folders, but just in case something goes wron, we can replace them back)

Step Twelve : Copy the files n folders from the directory on the desktop named iPhone 3GS SMS

and paste the in the iphone 4 here (the program will ask wether to replace existing files n folders, in some chinese lingo, but u can see Y and N on each buttons so click on the left (Y)

And thats about it, You are done, As simple as that, All the SMS on the iPhone 3GS are transfered on the new device.

User uploaded fileScreen Shot Attached for your reference

Caution : This worked like a charm for me, but it may not be the same for everyone so just in case anything goes wrong you can replace the previously saved files n folders in iPhone 4 SMS directory back. I am very clear, I am not responsible for any loss or damage, Do at your own risk.

Move SMS texts from iphone 3g to Iphone4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.