Skip navigation

Phantom Usage

1115 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 4:02 AM by iZian RSS
MMulhern Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 30, 2010 3:36 AM
So, with all these threads about battery life, I have been keeping a very close eye on my battery, usage and standby data. I don't use my phone much and noticed that without ever turning my phone on, from about 6:30 last night to 6:30 this morning, I have about 8 new minutes of usage- and the phone was never turned on!

I always assumed that usage meant me actually turning on and using the phone, but is it actually compiling time the phone may have spent searching for a signal or something? I do not have push or any apps turned on....
MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.4), Apple/Mac user since 1987
  • ProfGHDorr Level 1 Level 1 (110 points)
    Jun 30, 2010 3:37 AM (in response to MMulhern)
    Does the phone check for new email?
  • sophos9 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Jun 30, 2010 3:38 AM (in response to ProfGHDorr)
    Yes it will be background tasks that have taken place (i.e. mail polling, push notifications etc)

Clever things
    iOS 4
  • sophos9 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Jun 30, 2010 3:45 AM (in response to MMulhern)
    Something has been done on the phone that the counter has determined was usage and not idle time, without knowing the actual processes running in the background (not tasks) its hard to determine
    iOS 4
  • iZian Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)
    Jun 30, 2010 3:49 AM (in response to MMulhern)
    Bluetooth? (runs as a BTServer in iPhone and may count the seconds it searches for devices)

Did you have any alarms or phone calls or texts (even if you didn't supress /answer / read them).

Both of these count as far as I am aware
  • iZian Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)
    Jun 30, 2010 4:02 AM (in response to MMulhern)
    MMulhern wrote:
    Thanks all for your suggestions....at least I now know that this is "normal."

Yeah; I think that it has to count any time it wasn't fully asleep in standby to the usage timer...
    I doubt there is any concrete documentation available to us users for that though.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.