Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

conflicting advice about changing from POP to IMAP on multiple devices

I get email to six POP accounts on three devices - iPhone, iPad and my MacBook Air. Deleting the emails I've already read on one device from the other two has become incredibly time-consuming. I've poked around on the boards to try to find out if changing my email accounts to IMAP on the iPhone and iPad only would be a good solution, but I've gotten conflicting advice. I found both of these statements, which would appear to contradict each other:

statement #1:
+No, that should be fine to do that but as mentioned above, you would set the POP account on your desktop to leave mail on the server. This is the setup I use (POP on desktop, IMAP on iPhone). I like it because it adds a layer of backup. If your mail server went down and lost all your email, you'd still have copies on your desktop in your POP account. Also, you can still reference/search email if your internet goes down.+

statement #2:

+I have to second these motions here - Do Not try to mix these two or you risk loosing email... Then make sure you reconfigure your Mail.app to IMAP. You will need to create a new IMAP account in the prefs, manually move all of your POP email to their corresponding folders in the IMAP account, and then delete the POP account.+

Surely lots of other people are finding it hard to manage their email with all of these other devices? Whenever I launch Mail in either my iPad or my iPhone it loads the new ones, plus up to 50 old emails from whenever I stopped deleting them before...

TIA for any advice...

Message was edited by: Gretchen Daniel1

MacBook Air, iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPad & iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 7:52 AM

3 replies

Jun 30, 2010 9:32 AM in response to Gretchen Daniel1

Gretchen Daniel1 wrote:
Thanks Bob, I suspected that was the case. I would be interested to know if a large number of people are switching their POP accounts to IMAP for this very reason. I can't be the only one who's tired of deleting emails one by one from the iPhone and iPad...

I don't know how many are switching. I assume that most users who have multiple email devices they want to keep synced set them up as IMAP accounts to begin with.

conflicting advice about changing from POP to IMAP on multiple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.