Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing a folder with dovecot

I know a lot less about dovecot than about cyrus, so I'm sure there's a straightforward answer out there for this. The Apple documentation for the mail server talks about emptying the junkmail and notjunkmail folders nightly, but there's no pointer to how to do that.

When I try 'dovecotd --exec-mail ext /usr/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool', which is what looked like the right command, I get:

Error: read(/private/var/run/dovecot/dict-server) failed: Remote disconnected

I do have expire and expire_dict set.

Is expire-tool the right thing to use? Is there anything in the Apple docs that talks about doing this? If not it seems like a big oversight...

Thanks.

Kevin Brock

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:21 PM

2 replies

Jun 30, 2010 5:31 PM in response to kevinbrock

Well, first part of the answer--it looks like the dovecot shipped with the 10.6 server isn't compiled with the --with-db option. It looks like that's necessary to use the expire plugin. I'm seeing the errors:

/var/log/system.log:Jun 30 17:27:43 ariel dovecot[10540]: dict: Unknown dict module: db
/var/log/system.log:Jun 30 17:27:43 ariel dovecot[10540]: dict: Failed to initialize dictionary 'expire'

Now the question is: Are there any other dict formats that expire can use? Am I reading this error incorrectly?

Why would Apple ship extensions that don't work with the version of the server they shipped?

Kevin

Jul 4, 2010 6:40 AM in response to kevinbrock

I modified the /etc/mail/spamassassin/learn junkmail by adding

&& rm -f "$file"

at the end of line 104:

sudo -u _amavisd $SA LEARNPATH --dbpath $DB_PATH --spam --no-sync < "

and 114:

sudo -u _amavisd $SA LEARNPATH --dbpath $DB_PATH --ham --no-sync < " > /dev/null && rm -f "$file"

looks like this forum software does something strange when using the sign "less than" and "greater than" above where it should say "$file" between the two.

Clearing a folder with dovecot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.