Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook App Draining Battery on iPad

Has anyone had the problem of their battery going low fast, when reading books on the iPad with this app or any e-reader app. It seems that my goes down at least 5-10% within the hour of reading. My iPad is the 64GB w/3G and I all ways make sure that the Wi-Fi and 3G are off when reading and the funny thing is that then battery life hardly changes when I'm watching a 2 hour movie!

iBook G4

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 7:11 AM

But, given that many, many more people use the app with no problems, it is far more likely that there is some particular problem going on that might be solveable with a little basic troubleshooting. However, if you're not interested, it doesn't matter.

28 replies

Jul 12, 2011 4:37 AM in response to Neurite

Sounds as if you've got something else going on. This is the only thread I've ever seen on the subject and it hasn't had very many repsonses. Therefore, it doesn't seem as if there is an issue for Apple to address. Sounds more like an issue on your device. I'd start with the standard troubleshooting steps of resetting, then, if that doesn't work, restoring.

Jun 22, 2011 4:38 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Okay... That's for an IPad. But I use an iPhone4 and can definitely attest to the fact that iBooks drains battery life too fast. I wish Apple will do something about it cos it's kinda weird that I listen to music for hours on my phone and hardly loose that much battery. But when I spend 1-2 hours reading or mistakenly leave iBooks running in multitasking. My battery is gone. It's hard to believe that music uses less battery than just flipping pages...

I'm so sick of it, that I'm thinking of getting another ebook reader that's not apple, since the iPad has the same problem. What a waste...?

Jul 11, 2011 10:17 PM in response to Skkyy10

I recently changed from reading on the kindle app and noticed a huge difference in battery life between it and iBooks. My suggestion is to read on the kindle app if Apple doesn't address the issue soon. I will. There is no reason the processing wheel should be turning so much when I am just reading. Not flipping pages but reading the same page. Mysterious.

Jul 17, 2011 3:29 AM in response to latac

This morning, I also noticed that after reading a book with iBooks for 3 hours in airplane mode my battery went from 77% down to 22%. Apparently this is the reason why I am at this forum right now. This has never been the case when using Kindle app. I will be looking at the battery and updating here in case I notice any more peculiarities.

Aug 27, 2011 9:47 AM in response to latac

There is definitely a problem with iBook app. I can turn off completely my iPad 2 and turn back on with 3G and wifi off and only open iBook app and my battery will drain close to 20% per hour. This is clearly not normal battery usage. We should be able to read for several hours and it only affect the battery a nominal amount.

I too hope this gets fixed.

Oct 10, 2011 6:29 AM in response to latac

I have this same issue - I was reading in iBooks on my lunch break and then left the app running in the background. I had my phone in my pocket and could feel it was heating up much more than usual and when I checked it around four p.m. (it was fully charged that same morning), the battery was down to 6% (Edit: usually around that time my battery would be down to about 60-70%). No other apps were running and as soon as I shut down the app the battery was going at a regular pace again and starting to cool down.

It's understandable that when open it would use up the battery, what with having the screen on all the time and turning the pages, but I find it odd that it's such a power guzzler even when in the background. Now I'll know to turn it off when I'm done reading, but it's still definitely something that's not working optimally.

iBook App Draining Battery on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.