Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused...how do I import photos into a particular album?

I'm trying to import a bunch of Hubble Space Telescope photos into iPhoto. They are in a folder on my hard drive. I'd like them to go into an album I created titled "Astro photos for iPad".

Is there any way of picking selected photos and importing them directly into that album?

I rarely use iPhoto, but every time I do, it's a major head-scratcher. I don't know why, but I simply do not understand the interface or organization (folders, albums, events, etc.). The PDF help manual doesn't cover importing photos from the hard drive. I'm sure iPhoto works wonderfully for regular users. I know it's me, not you!

Where do the imported photos go? Are they in the aether until you, somehow, find them and then drag them into an album? How do you find them?

It seems that the strategy is to give an import an event name as the way to group them, but then I can't find the event. (It's usually mixed in with a bunch of dated events.)

Here's the complication in this case. I have dozens of images in that Hubble folder. I'm in iPhoto. I'd like to import selected ones. I have to import them one at a time because I'm checking on which image is which. Then they get lost as they were taken, and saved/dated, at different times. I suppose my only recourse is to create the iPad Hubble folder first outside of iPhoto and then import them in one fell swoop.

I know this will all sound ridiculous to those who use iPhoto regularly or simply just get it, but I'm lost in space--literally!

Any suggestions on making my way back to Earth would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

MacBook Pro (early fall 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.5), Sad MBP! Keycaps wearing out, hard drive noisy, stage lights!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 3:31 PM

@ AstroMacMan,

I'm sure there's someone more knowledgeable that who will respond, but I'll give it a shot.

Events hold all your photos. When I import a bunch of photos they will split into one "event" per day. If I don't name the event, it just puts the date as the name.

Photos is another view of your pictures. I believe it's in date order based on the photo data.

Albums is kind of a shortcut of a bunch of related photos.

Folders is a way to keep similar albums together. For instance, if you have a folder called Holidays, you can then make albums for Christmas, Independence Day, and so on.

So Events and Photos are different views of your pictures. Albums and Folders does not move your photos but simply puts a shortcut to photos you select for them.

Once you import a bunch of photos into an event, you can click on "Last Import" to find them.

You could import them all, then in iPhoto select the ones you want in an album and go to File>New Album From Selection -or- you can flag the photos you want to go into an album and make a Smart Album called Astro photos for iPad and "Match the following condition: Photo is flagged.

Hopefully that will help some.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2010 3:31 PM in response to AstroMacMan

@ AstroMacMan,

I'm sure there's someone more knowledgeable that who will respond, but I'll give it a shot.

Events hold all your photos. When I import a bunch of photos they will split into one "event" per day. If I don't name the event, it just puts the date as the name.

Photos is another view of your pictures. I believe it's in date order based on the photo data.

Albums is kind of a shortcut of a bunch of related photos.

Folders is a way to keep similar albums together. For instance, if you have a folder called Holidays, you can then make albums for Christmas, Independence Day, and so on.

So Events and Photos are different views of your pictures. Albums and Folders does not move your photos but simply puts a shortcut to photos you select for them.

Once you import a bunch of photos into an event, you can click on "Last Import" to find them.

You could import them all, then in iPhoto select the ones you want in an album and go to File>New Album From Selection -or- you can flag the photos you want to go into an album and make a Smart Album called Astro photos for iPad and "Match the following condition: Photo is flagged.

Hopefully that will help some.

Dec 28, 2013 2:49 PM in response to AstroMacMan

I have read through the explanation provided but unfortunately you just explained iPhoto. I believe the original question was how do you import photos directly into an album and bypass "EVENTS" and "PHOTOS".

I know this an old thread but I need help in doing this. I have my camera connected, and I have created an album specifically that I want these pictures to go into. Any advise? Thank you,

Dec 28, 2013 10:36 PM in response to Mbonetj

Yes

You can not do that

Importing from a camera can not be into an album

You could use image capture to import the photos from the camera to disk and then drage tehm to an album in iPhoto

However it is NOT possible to have photos in an album and not in an event or int photos

All photos are in teh library and events, photos, faces, pasces and albums are not palces - they are simply different ways of viewing the photos in the library

LN

Dec 29, 2013 12:18 AM in response to Mbonetj

§s.

Mbonetj wrote:

I have read through the explanation provided but unfortunately you just explained iPhoto. I believe the original question was how do you import photos directly into an album and bypass "EVENTS" and "PHOTOS".

I know this an old thread but I need help in doing this. I have my camera connected, and I have created an album specifically that I want these pictures to go into. Any advise? Thank you,

You can't do it.

iPhoto works like iTunes. All the tracks are in the Library, each playlist contains references to the tracks in the Library. So a track can be in any number of playlists without using extra disk space.

In iPhoto, all the phoots are in the LIbrary. Each Album contains references to the photos in the Library. So a photo can be in any number of Albums without using extra disk space.

Events and Photos are views of the LIbrary. Two doors into the same room, as it were.

Jan 10, 2016 2:20 PM in response to Yer_Man

1. Launch Photos on your Mac.
  2. Click on the Albums tab in the top navigation.
  3. Click on All Photos.
  4. Select the photos you'd like to be in your album, new or old. You can hold down the command key on your Mac's keyboard to select multiple photos at once.
  5. Click on the add button in the top navigation, it looks like a plus sign.
  6. Click on Album.
  7. In the popup menu, you can either create a new album and name it or select an existing album.
  8. Make your selection and click OK to confirm.

Jan 10, 2016 3:36 PM in response to nhanif81

1. Check the date on the question you're answering. Don't answer old threads dating back more than 5 and 1/2 years

2. Make sure your answer refers to the correct Application - in this case iPhoto, and not Photos as your answer refers.

3. Make sure your answer actually answers the question - in this case how to import from the Finder to an album, not how to add photos from the Library to an album.

Confused...how do I import photos into a particular album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.