Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 memory trouble

Have been experiencing strange G5 melt downs lately. It started out with sudden kernel panics whenever Photoshop was handling a larger file, now I cannot get past the grey start up screen, once the process wheel freezes.

AHT came up with the following error code, therefore I assume it is RAM trouble, but how do I identify which slot is defective?

Error code: post/0/248DIMM7/J44

All memory has been installed for years ...

G5 Dual | iMac Intel Core Duo | MacBookPro i7 | MacBookPro Intel | iBook G3, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 9:12 AM

6 replies

Jul 1, 2010 9:35 AM in response to J and F__

Search the discussions for "AppleJack" and find a link to download version 1.5. Version 1.5 includes memtest, which is an exhaustive RAM test application which should be run in single-user mode to test the maximum amount of memory.

J44 suggests the bottom or top RAM slot, if I interpret what my own system profiler output says. (J44 reports empty on mine, which is either the top or bottom slot. (I couldn't find information narrowing it down, though my guess would be the bottom slot.)

Jul 1, 2010 10:46 AM in response to old comm guy

Not sure if I can get Applejack to run, with the G5 not starting up, but did a little reasearch on the RAM slots:
turns out the number are marked on the right of each slot, so J44 is the top slot on my machine.

Next question: do I need to remove both RAMs now (top and bottom slot), since they are supposed to be installed in pairs, before running AHT again?

G5 memory trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.