Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 install on Mac Mini Power PC with 10.4.11

I have just received my new iPhone. I've plugged it into my Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz Power PC G4, running 10.4.11 OS. I have iTunes 9.2 (61) installed.
When I connect my iPhone it says "The iPhone cannot be used because it needs Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later"
It says on the support pages it needs 10.4.11 or later, and the latest version of iTunes. I have this, does anyone know what the problem is???
I can not upgrade to 10.5 as this needs an intel processor.
Checked for software updates, but there are none.
Any ideas??

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.42 Ghz Power PC G4

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 12:02 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2010 12:37 PM in response to Bungle Bear

Hi,

I got exactly the same problem with iphone 4. Only solution I have found without buying new intel mac is to get hold of OSX leopard as this is the last OS to work on PowerPC macs.

I have managed to find a brand new OSX Leopard 10.5.6 online and there are updates on apple site to update to 10.5.8 so am hoping this is going to work.

Apple put us to a lot of trouble and we keep coming back for more!!

Good luck

Aug 3, 2010 10:03 AM in response to tonefox

My apologies, I read your post the wrong way. I see now that the original poster was confused about the specs and you were simply responding with the appropriate info.

I've gotten defensive after reading the forums. The forums are full of posters just looking to prove someone wrong or stupid, rather than being helpful. I shouldn't have assumed you were one of those people. Sorry.

I did my homework and discovered that my PowerPC will run Leopard. It can be purchased for $129 by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. This is much cheaper than replacing my laptop.

I hope to upgrade my Mac soon, though! Can't believe this thing is still ticking. I love Apple.

iphone 4 install on Mac Mini Power PC with 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.