Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5 font and Flash 10.1 problems

Having a couple problems that I've pinpointed to a conflict between Safari 5 and Flash Player 10.1 (official release).

Flash objects loading appear to cause rendering issues in Safari.

Instance 1: The "What's New" tab in Yahoo Mail appears for a fraction of a second and then goes to blank as soon as the Flash-based chat module starts to load. The tab then remains blank.

Instance 2: When Flash ads appear on a page, sans serif text is jagged.

See screenshots.
1. http://www.joelwnelson.com/files/instance1.png
2. http://www.joelwnelson.com/files/instance2.png

Troubleshooting steps I've taken (none of which have helped):
Reapplying 10.6.4 Combo Update
Reapplying Safari 5 update
Uninstalling (using the Adobe uninstaller) and reinstalling Flash Player 10.1
Repairing Permissions
Removing all plugins from the Internet Plugins folders and reinstalling

Firefox and Camino do not have this problem; Safari 4 did not either.

2.8GHz MacBook Pro / Aluminum Mac Mini / iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 4:18 PM

12 replies

Aug 10, 2010 1:03 PM in response to Joel Nelson

I'm having the same issues with fonts rendering jagged whenever there's any flash objects on the page. Adding the "AdBlock" extension has helped on many sites, but ones like ESPN that require flash for their video content are still affected. Likewise, Firefox and Chrome are not affected.

I've also reinstalled Safari and Flash to no avail. I think this is a bug within Safari 5 (possibly even just 5.0.1). Keep us updated if you figure it out, it's bugging the heck out of me.

Aug 10, 2010 1:21 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I've definitely considered this. I'm a graphic designer and I've got about 8000 fonts installed on my machine, but I use Font Explorer X Pro to manage all of them. I've had plenty of font issues in the past with OS X, but I've learned to be very careful and how to fix problems when they arise. I never install fonts via Font Book and never install them in my user or system Libraries. I'm not sure this is related to fonts as I've checked and double checked everything, and cleared and recleared my caches repeatedly. The only thing that causes me to question that is how it seems to be limited to Helvetica, which is typically the problem child.

Thoughts?

Aug 19, 2010 2:25 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn - i'm 100% certain it's not a corrupted font issue. it's a safari bug. possible causes are one or more of the following:

conflict between safari 5 and:
1. flash content
2. certain javascript mouse events (eg onmouseover, onclick, etc)
3. css transitions (evinced by the bug i reported in http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html)
4. certain safari extensions that involve the use of either 2 or 3.

Safari 5 font and Flash 10.1 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.