Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 photo-size is a disaster! 2MB per photo!?

Hi,

it took me about a year to convince all of my friends not to use the highest (12 megapixels) resolution on their digital cameras available, instead take pictures with 2 megapixels, since the sensors are so small that it doesn't make a difference anyways. So now it's about 500kb per photo instead of 3MB!

Now, the iPhone 4 has this super 5 megapixels sensor and there is no option to set it back to 2 megapixels, so every single photo imported to iPhoto has about 2MB!!!

Does anyone know of an automator-script, batch-app, hack that allows me to shrink the photos without messing with timestamps and other meta-data of the photos?

Regards,
Eric.

Mac Mini, MacbookPro, iPod Shuffle & iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 2:56 AM

54 replies

Jul 2, 2010 3:22 AM in response to esreverse

Hi and Thanks BryC,

I know about that option, but sending all photos via email to my mac to import them into iPhoto is a workaround, not a solution. 😉

Steve Jobs was superproud when he announced/said that other companies just go for megapixels, Apple instead goes for quality. But nobody thought of a simple switch in the settings to reduce the totally unnecessary image size from 5MP to 2MP. 5MP are just too much for a sensor this small, even though it's a back-wired sensor. Every stupid camera has that nowadays.

@Apple, thanks for wasting space on my harddrive by totally overdimensioned photos.

Jul 2, 2010 9:40 AM in response to esreverse

Hey there,
I totally agree with your logic. I've been hounding my parents and siblings about photo sharing for years now. Everyone is a shutter bug, leaves the @#$%'ed default to the highest resolution then calls me with 'computer' problems when they can't send me more than one or two 5MB photos at a time.

I hope Apple addresses the resolution so we don't need workarounds, however, I've trained my folks to resize with XP add-ins now. They move their photos to the PC and right-click then resize to approx 300K (800x600) and we get to see little Johnny graduate from kindergarten ad nauseum!

iPhone 4 photo-size is a disaster! 2MB per photo!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.