Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You SHOULD be able to apply batch changes just by selecting multiple images

Don't get me wrong, i love lift/stamp. It's very helpful.

BUT, I really hate the fact that in Aperture you can't just drag-select a group of images and then either apply adjustments to all of them, or –more often– keywords.

Why does Aperture keep you from doing this?

At the very least, you should have the OPTION in PREFS to do this. Or not.

3.2GHz 8-Core MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 22G RAM

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 7:02 AM

20 replies

Jul 2, 2010 7:24 AM in response to Ed State

Of course you can do this - here is the deal:

1)Make sure that "primary only" is OFF. If it is on then no matter what or how you do it changes will only be applied to the primary selection.

2)If you use the inspector to apply ANY adjustments or metadata it will affect the primary selection (thick white border) - however if you use any of the menu items to apply the same metadata or adjustment presets then all of them will get it. You can also use the keyword HUD to drag keywords onto a selection and it will be applied to all in the selection.

RB

Ps.

Plenty of other stuff here [http://photo.rwboyer.com]

Jul 2, 2010 7:47 AM in response to rwboyer

That's not how it works for me, I just tested it and it's the same it's been since 1.0.
"Primary Only" only applies to keywords/ratings/labels. Other metadata such as copyright has to use the lift and stamp or the batch change menu (other confusing thing) to apply to multiple photos. Adjustments and only work with lift and stamp, it doesn't matter if you use presets, it's still only applied to one photo. At least that's how it works for me with primary only turned off.
I agree that the interface needs work there, I was surprised they didn't change the lift and stamp HUD in 3.0, it at least needs check boxes next to every adjustment so you don't have to select them and hit delete.

Jul 2, 2010 8:32 AM in response to Ed State

Ed,

I am having difficulty understanding this criticism. Clearly the most productive use of applying adjustments to multiple images is where those images were shot in very similar if not identical lighting conditions. Also it is unlikely that a single adjustment will suffice, but rather a combination of numerous adjustments will be utilized, and will be judged in aggregate on one of the images. Thus, why would anyone be likely to want to see each single adjustment step applied to a large number of images before settling on the preferred combination? When the preferred combination of adjustments has been found, and you wish to apply them to all the images shot under similar circumstances, you only need to Lift the Adjustments, select the group of images, and then apply in one step to all of them.

Btw, what is the universe of every other program on earth you would want to do this with?

Ernie

Jul 2, 2010 8:33 AM in response to Richard Seldomridge

I don't want to argue but you are wrong - the photo->add adjustment preset, etc, everything from the menu (or shortcut keys, or control bar buttons), and the add/append metadata preset (gear menu in the metadata inspector or HUD) every single thing is applied to all selected photos with primary only set to off - always has done this. THE ONLY THING THAT ALWAYS IS PRIMARY ONLY is changing individual fields or individual adjustments in the inspector.

This is really about the only logical way to do things for metadata, I would like to see a couple of different options to do things with adjustments but when I think through how it would actually work it gets complicated.

RB

Jul 2, 2010 8:57 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

I'm sorry you are having difficulty.

It's simple: you select multiple images, right?. One has a thick white border and the others have thin ones. But, even though you have multiple images selected, if you input keywords, or other metadata, or an adjustment from the Inspector, it only applies to the "primary" image.

There should be an option to have that be the case... OR, if you want, to apply whatever adjustment from the INSPECTOR you choose... and have that be applied to those multiple images.

"...why would anyone be likely to want to see each single adjustment step applied to a large number of images before settling on the preferred combination?"

Because everyone's not you.

I just shot 100+ table tops that were VERY similar lighting / angles / etc. And I needed to comp them out for the client ASAP. The technique I described would've saved me a lot of time. Instead I had to do ONE image of the mini-batches, and then lift/stamp the rest. When it would've been so much easier for me to drag-select the 8, or 15 in a group, and assign them all keywords at the same time, and do some adjustments. Bam. Quicker.

Oh, and per the "what is the universe" question? You don't have to look any further than Apple's own operating system to see this "crazy" and "unique" technique in action: go to FINDER, select multiple items of folder (drag around them), and then CTRL-Click and choose a label color. Viola! ALL the items become that color.

Like I said, I'm only suggesting Apple provide the OPTION of working this way. And it IS the norm in most operating system / program environments.

In fact, watch the Lynda.com vid on Aperture 3: the MetaData portion, the guy drag-selects a bunch of images and says "...now, you'd THINK you could just enter some keywords for these similar images and have them stick... you'd be wrong. You have to use lift/stamp for that. For some odd reason."

Jul 2, 2010 9:12 AM in response to Ed State

I can identify with you on metadata other than image adjustments, but I find it not much trouble to enter any special credit, copyright, etc in one image, and then stamp to all the rest in one step.

Some of what you are doing for exporting I more typically do at Export, using Custom names and indexes, which is a one step function.

I continue to support my original post with regard to actual image editing, however.

Ernie

Jul 2, 2010 9:46 AM in response to Ed State

I was generalizing - please don't take offense. You may or may not fit into the generalization. I have no idea. It is just when I hear things along the lines of "I shot a bunch of table top images and if I could make an adjustment in the hud to all of them at the same time it would save me sooooo sooo sooo much time vs hitting 3 keystrokes after I adjusted one of them" It really gets me wondering.

I do a lot of digital media work-flow/lifecycle work for both individuals and media professionals within larger sized groups - I run into sort of a "mental block" attitude a lot. When I set down with them and watch what they are doing - without fail (almost) we work something out that includes they "knew" existed that they had dismissed before and the light bulb goes off.... "Oh, now I get it..." kind of thing.

I cannot possibly imagine a situation where what you ask for would produce any major difference from the capabilities that exist right now that would make things "better" - let's think this through real quick - do you want the adjustments to happen real-time? to which image? oh all of them - okay that won't work - do you want the software to hold you up until the adjustments are updated while you are tinkering or do you want it to allow you to make other adjustments on top of the ones that haven't even displayed yet sort of willy-nilly. Let us hear exactly how you want it to work that will save you soooo, sooo, much time.

Typical.

RB

You SHOULD be able to apply batch changes just by selecting multiple images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.