Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embedded YouTube Videos do not play

I can play vides fine in YouTube directly. However if the video is embedded on a page like Facebook or Ebay it will not play. I get the message +An error occurred, please try again later+.

If I open the same page on Firefox the video plays fine.

I reinstalled flash, but that is not the problem. I noticed bug persists even with .mov/QT videos.

Message was edited by: Dharma-mac

2 x 2.8 Quad-core Xeon and others, Mac OS X (10.6), Safari 5

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 8:48 AM

9 replies

Jul 2, 2010 11:49 AM in response to Dharma-mac

HI,

If you didn't uninstall the old version of Flash then repair permissions, you should try that.

Uninstall Flash

Install the most recent version of Flash here.

Adobe strongly advises repairing permissions after installing Flash.

Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and *restart your Mac.*

Carolyn 🙂

Jul 2, 2010 1:54 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Of course I tried that first. I don't think this is a flash issue. As I said before it seems to happen on non-flash video as well. Saw it with H264 compressed quicktime movies.

The videos play fine on the YouTube site. The problem occurs when I try and play embedded YouTube videos on a non-YouTube page in SAFARI 5.

The problem does not exist in FireFox.

Reinstalling flash was a waste of my precious time.

Aug 9, 2010 8:39 PM in response to Dharma-mac

I have had the same problem for some time on my home computer. The pages work fine in Firefox and my computer at work.
I did the uninstall and a new install of Flash but no luck, the new Flash is 10.1.53.64.
I at one time signed up for the Youtube HTML5 beta do you think that could be part of the problem?

Sep 16, 2013 5:53 AM in response to Dharma-mac

I have the same problem, but with Firefox. Embedded YouTube videos don't play in non-YouTube web pages. I can click the link in the top of the video to be taken directly to YouTube, and I can watch the video there, but when I click the big Play button in the middle of the video window, I just get a black rectangle.

I tried uninstalling Flash player as suggested above, rebooted my machine, and reinstalled Flash player, but that did not fix the problem. This is a non-Flash player problem that Apple should look into. I have not tried this on other browsers to see if I have the same problem there or not, as I do not use other browsers besides Firefox. I would rather not have to use another browser just so that I can watch embedded YouTube videos. I would prefer if Apple (or another knowledgeable user) can post the solution to the problem. Thanks!

Embedded YouTube Videos do not play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.