Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: iMac i5 HD display

I have the above iMac and I know that you cannot get an HDMI connection, without using some intermediary device. I have read somewhere that even if you use this device, it will only get you up to 720P as opposed to the 1080P for full HD. Bearing in mind that the screen spec is in excess of HD, can someone please explain to me in simple terms, why Apple would prevent you from using your screen to watch full HD, when their equipment clearly has the capabilities of doing so. It seems to me to be utterly perverse!

iMac 27" i5, Windows XP, Sony Vaio VGN-AR21S

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 1:06 PM

14 replies

Jul 3, 2010 2:35 AM in response to JaimieV

Hi Jaimie,

Thanks for the info. I must say that I am still a bit confused, as the Griffin connection Amazon advert says that it is less than $5 while the Kanex XD HDMI Converter for 27 inch says $149.99. This is probably what confused me as the Kanex only allows 720p and I thought that this limitation was imposed by Apple. If I wanted to plug my PS3 into the iMac 27" and used the Griffin would it give me 1080p, if the answer is 'yes' then how are Kanex in business? iMac http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-HDMI-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B003LGOWNQ/ref=sr12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278149004&sr=1-2-spell

Bill

Jul 3, 2010 3:48 AM in response to billbir

Wait - so are you wanting to input display to the i5, not output from it to an HDMI source? That wasn't clear at all, but it explains the difference in price.

Output is easy - conversion from DisplayPort to HDMI is simple and cheap, because the graphics card switches to using DVI/HDMI signalling as required.

But inbound - the i5/i7 27" iMacs only take input inwards from DisplayPort devices.

Anything that isn't DisplayPort (like a PS3) needs to be converted to full DisplayPort capability first. That's why an inbound converter like the Kanex is so expensive.

Jul 3, 2010 4:01 AM in response to JaimieV

Hi Jaimie,

Apologies for not making my query clearer, as you can tell, I am no 'techie'. I am unclear why you would want to output anything, and what the benefit would be. I do clearly see the advantage of being able to use my PS3 to input onto my 27" iMac. Amongst other things, that I have learned from you, is that the input limitation seems to be manufacturer dictated and is not limited by Apple. Thank you for resolving my query.

Bill

Jul 3, 2010 7:08 AM in response to billbir

No problem - it's often difficult to talk tech when you don't know the right phrases.

The outbound usage is simple - to add second screen. Another monitor, a projector, or (with that $4 adapter!) a 72" TV.

Sorry I couldn't suggest a better-than-720p input adapter, I've not looked for that sort of kit at all. And if a 720p is going to be $150... ouch!

Jul 7, 2010 4:43 PM in response to Will-Hi

It seems Bartbrn looked into the issue and found the following explanation for the limitation: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11858407#11858407

Apparently (according to Kanex) the iMac accepts only two input resolutions, 1280x720 and 2560x1440.

This Belkin device I mentioned in my previous post: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H0360LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
makes no mention of a 720p limitation; and says:
----------
+Scales resolution to fit the entire iMac or Cinema Display (supports 480i, 1080i, 480p, 720p, 1080p resolutions)+
----------

Maybe this means it works around the limitation by upscaling the HDMI input to 2560x1440? It's just a guess though, you'd have to check reviews or other sources to make sure.

Jul 7, 2010 4:53 PM in response to billbir

billbir wrote:
This is probably what confused me as the Kanex only allows 720p and I thought that this limitation was imposed by Apple.

According to the site Kanex ( http://kanexlive.com/products/item-id-3662.html), you are able to get output 1080p from the Kanex XD -- it's the iMac which is limiting it.

"Full screen HD playback of Blu-Ray DVD, Playstation 3, Xbox Elite, Direct TV, Dish Network or other components with HDMI output set at 720p. This is due to limitation of the iMac 27" as a display which accepts only 1280x720(720p) or 2560x960 resolution base on the display EDID. If when the iMac 27" accepts a 1920x1080(1080p) resolution the Kanex XD will be able to output at 1080p."

Jul 8, 2010 7:27 AM in response to Will-Hi

So, I had a quick look at the Belkin website: AV360™ Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac
-----
+Accepts full 1080p signal, provides 720p to iMac+
-----

So it's slightly more convenient than the Kanex in that you don't have to set your device's output to 720p, but the signal reaching the iMac will still be 720p.

If there's going to be scaling, it might as well be upscaling to 1440p rather than downscaling to 720p, IMO; especially in a product that does cost a fair amount. It makes you wonder whether 1080p-limited hardware entered production before the limitation was discovered, and downscaling was added as an afterthought.

Re: iMac i5 HD display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.