Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding cover art to PDFs in iTunes

Has anyone done this successfully? I'm trying to add cover art to a PDF file I've imported into iTunes (for the iBooks app), and although iTunes allows me to manually select a JPEG file to use as cover art for a specific PDF, the file always reverts to no cover art (or the first page of the PDF file) when I click OK.

Anyone else having this problem?

iPhone 4 / iTunes 9.2, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 12:57 PM

I am also having the same problem. I have a cover art I want to use, but it never stays (using the same method). I don't want to have to download an expensive PDF editor just for this.
19 replies

Aug 7, 2010 3:26 PM in response to carolinacharlie

I'm in the same boat. I figured out a way to do this, but it wasn't simple. If you've used a torrent client to download things, that's how I downloaded Foxit PDF editor. I used Adobe Photoshop CS3 (which I already had) to convert a .jpeg of the cover art into a .PDF file. Then using the Foxit program I added the cover art as the first page of the .PDF file. Then that's what shows up in iTunes and iBooks as the cover. Once I got the programs, this only takes a minute to do for each book, but I have not found a simpler way unless you have Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Jul 20, 2013 3:42 PM in response to carolinacharlie

This thread's kinda old, but for anyone still looking for a remedy, here it is. Google search for 'free pdf editor'; you'll find CutePDF. It runs online, no need to download or install anything. Once you're in, select the PDF you want, then click on the Merge PDF button. The Add File button is next, then search for, select and Open. Make sure, at the bottom of that window, you check Add Before Page 1; once it's done merging, the right side display will show your newly-covered PDF. Save the PDF, then in iTunes, delete and re-add the new file. The cover art won't appear in the Artwork field, but the Summary will have it, and the iBooks display on your iPad or e-reader, it should look just fine.

Adding cover art to PDFs in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.