Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Can't trash a file or repair permissions

1269 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2010 10:04 PM by motc RSS
motc Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 3, 2010 1:11 AM
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.8. I recently downloaded a number of music software demo's, and after checking them out, proceeded to throw away the ones I didn't want to keep. (I used the application Find Any File to help locate all the files associated with the programs.)

One of the files couldn't be trashed – I got a message saying it was still in use. I then tried to Repair Permissions and got a message saying it couldn't be done because, "...the underlying task reported failure at exit". I shut down the Macbook, restarted, and the application was bouncing up and down on the dock. I control clicked on it and force quit. It disappeared from the dock, but I still can't repair permissions or throw away the file, because I'm getting the same messages. When I control clicked on it in the Dock, the top line, which was grayed out, said "Application Not Responding".

I thought I was being careful when I selected the files to be thrown away, and the demo that this file came from was not open when I threw away the other files, unless it was running in the background somehow. After that I ran TechTool Deluxe and it passed all the tests.

In the meantime I've purchased the music software I wanted, but don't want to install it without being able to repair permissions and start with a clean slate.

Any idea how to get rid of this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
iMac Intel Core 2, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2GHz,1GB,150 GB. Also iBook G3:900 MHz,640 MB,40 GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.