Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet access

I am trying to connect to the internet with my MAC OS 10.4.11
Optimum/cable modem was connected but when I was on the phone with the tech, he said that the MAC was not accepting the IP address. he was unable to find what the problem is, but i know it is my computer. I am online with someones laptop. So it does work, just not with my computer. It was working before on another account. I was also using a USB wireless adapter. My daughter connected that up. no router now, just a modem from Optimum.
Anyone know what the problem is?? Thanks in advance for any help~

G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Memory:512 MB, Processor:800MHz PowerPC G4

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 7:15 PM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2010 6:55 AM in response to Marie Marcy

Hi, Marie -

how do you power down the modem?

To power it down. pull its power plug. You can do that by unplugging the power cord at the modem, or by unplugging its transformer at the power strip.

After you wait the 5 minutes, plug it back in. Once its lights have have steadied it should be ready. You may also need to restart the Mac at that point.

Jul 4, 2010 7:25 AM in response to Don Archibald

i did try that but waited about 10 seconds.
I've tried disconnecting the power many times. Would 5 minutes really make a difference? I'll try it again, but will have to get off this computer to attempt it again. This computer has been on two different routers,directly, & using a USB wireless(AfterTheMac) If that matters.
My daughter using a D-link router, but not sure if she was using it on this computer. I had Lynksys on it at home & it was not wireless b/c this computer doesn't have wireless, maybe the AirPort is the problem, not that I know what this does.
I never used it.

internet access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.