Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 rebuilding photo library and losing photos

Hello, I have an iPhone 4. Photos saved to the Photo album caused the photo library to rebuild--and all photos taken by this iPhone, as well as the pix I was trying to save, have vanished.

Anyone have this problem? is there a fix?

Thanks!

macbook pro 13"

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 4:23 PM

44 replies

Jul 4, 2010 5:15 PM in response to tslatton

Tls723 wrote:
Hello, I have an iPhone 4. Photos saved to the Photo album caused the photo library to rebuild--and all photos taken by this iPhone, as well as the pix I was trying to save, have vanished.

Anyone have this problem? is there a fix?

Thanks!

Seriously? I guess iTunes has a magic program that goes into iPhoto and messes it up. Apple obviously placed this on your computer and no one elses. You are one lucky person.

Jul 4, 2010 5:36 PM in response to AD949

AD949 wrote:
It didn't do it when plugged in, it did it when I was actually in my car and when I clicked on 'Photos'

It then rebuilt my library and mixed my photos around. Sorry, not user error.

So, this is happening on your iPhone, not on iPhoto. You were unclear. Still sounds like user error, since it's not happening to anyone else. Occam's Razor and all.

Jul 4, 2010 5:38 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

Being that this thread is about iPhones, I assumed you see I was talking about my phone. And tell me, how is this user error when I 1) tap photos 2) AUTOMATICALLY rebuilds library and 3) my photos are mixed up. No where in those 3 steps leaves any room for user error, unless you count me tapping on Photos as a 'user error.'

Jul 5, 2010 3:14 AM in response to AD949

This is happening to mine also, took photos at the weekend, tried to upload to Facebook but when i tried to select photos there was no option for Camera Roll.

I then opened photos on iPhone and it said rebuilding library. When it had completed, all photos taken more than a week ago (when i upgraded to iOS4.0 have gone.

I have tried re taking photos to test and this continues to happen.

Jul 5, 2010 8:14 AM in response to tslatton

I had to interrupt my first sync when restoring all my 3GS info to the new phone and noticed this issue (I didn't realize that the restore would re-optimize each of the nearly 7,000 I keep on my phone, which as you can imagine, takes some time)... when I had time to let it complete the restore, I deleted all the photos form the new phone and then let it do a clean sync on the photos and the issue disappeared...

Jul 5, 2010 8:32 AM in response to tslatton

I am also having this problem on my iPhone(not in iPhoto, just to be clear for the people that seem to not be able to read). I open the camera app and it automatically begins the rebuilding process. I can find the photos under Places but not under the Camera Roll. These images have not been backed up to my iPhoto via syncing. I'm on vacation and hopeful that the images will copy over to my computer once I sync.

Jul 5, 2010 9:18 AM in response to tslatton

I am the original poster. I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my question; the missing photos happened only on my iPhone 4. In fact, the kind poster who mentioned that his/her photos were reorganized after the library was rebuilt helped immensely. The photos are still there, just out of order. Odd.
In terms of the snarky person... really? Your life is so vapid and meaningless that you have nothing better to do with your time than respond that way? Sad.

Many thanks to all who posted thoughtfully.

Jul 5, 2010 9:32 AM in response to tslatton

Sorry if you thought I was the one being snarky. I was having fun with the previous posts.

So, the photos are still there just in a different place? In the Camera Roll folder? I've not looked all the way through mine as I have 1500 or so on there. However, I was able to find the ones that were missing in the Places area.

Thanks for posting this, btw. Nice to know it isn't just "user error".

iPhone 4 rebuilding photo library and losing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.