Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library on external hard drive??

Hi
I'm buying more and more HD episodes from the iTunes store. My MacBook's hard drive is nearly full. Is there a way here or there to transfer my iTunes library into an external hard drive?

Can I at least put older seasons and episodes in the external hard drive and then whenever I need them I move it into iTunes and it will take it normal shape there?? (I mean TV shows go into the TV Shows section, not the movies section, with the text details and summaries)

Thanks

White MacBook, iPhone 3G, 64GB WiFi iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 11:08 PM

Hotsouma wrote:
Hi
I'm buying more and more HD episodes from the iTunes store. My MacBook's hard drive is nearly full. Is there a way here or there to transfer my iTunes library into an external hard drive?

click here for instructions.

Can I at least put older seasons and episodes in the external hard drive and then whenever I need them I move it into iTunes and it will take it normal shape there?? (I mean TV shows go into the TV Shows section, not the movies section, with the text details and summaries)

courtesy of *Chris CA* comes this tip:

In iTunes 9.
iTunes prefs -> Advanced.
Set the iTunes media folder location to the external.
Then select the movie files (or any files in iTunes) and right click Consolidate.
This will copy only the movies to the external location.
After it finishes, iTunes prefs -> Advanced and set the iTunes media folder location back to the internal. This will tell iTunes to use the internal drive for new files.
You can then delete the movies from \Music\iTunes\ on the internal to free up space.
To copy a movie back to the internal, simply right click - Consolidate (since you pointed iTunes back to the internal)

just edit these instructions to meet your needs.

J GG

User uploaded file
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2010 11:08 PM in response to Hotsouma

Hotsouma wrote:
Hi

click here for instructions.

courtesy of *Chris CA* comes this tip:

In iTunes 9.
iTunes prefs -> Advanced.
Set the iTunes media folder location to the external.
Then select the movie files (or any files in iTunes) and right click Consolidate.
This will copy only the movies to the external location.
After it finishes, iTunes prefs -> Advanced and set the iTunes media folder location back to the internal. This will tell iTunes to use the internal drive for new files.
You can then delete the movies from \Music\iTunes\ on the internal to free up space.
To copy a movie back to the internal, simply right click - Consolidate (since you pointed iTunes back to the internal)

just edit these instructions to meet your needs.

J GG

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2011 11:05 PM in response to Jolly Giant

I have a similar issue... except my internal drive is making noise (and I suspect about to fail), so I'm trying to save my itunes library...I have already switched default drive to my external, but as I understand it some info is still saved on my internal drive? So now what? Will this affect the performance/access to my library once I replace the internal drive? 😕 PLease help!

iTunes library on external hard drive??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.